Basic Law Enforcement Training | B.L.E.T.
- Applicant must be a United States citizen.
- Applicant must be 20 years of age by the first day of class. Proof of age will be required at the time of registration. A waiver may be obtained at 19 years of age, but the cadet must be 20 before the date of the state exam.
- High School graduate or have GED.
- Applicant may not enroll with any felony convictions regardless of the date of offense. Applicants will have to have a criminal history evaluation by the school director prior to enrollment.
- Applicant must successfully complete the College reading placement assessment as outlined by Johnston Community College BLET guidelines.
- Applicant must possess a valid North Carolina driver's license.
- Must obtain a sponsorship from a Law Enforcement agency.
|TUESDAY (LAST ONE ref. AUG CLASS)||July 18||10:00 a.m.|
|NEXT SESSIONS for JAN 24 class|
|Tuesday||Sept. 05||2:00 pm|
|Thursday||Sept. 21||9:00 am|
|Tuesday||Oct. 03||2:00 pm|
|Wednesday||Oct. 11||2:00 pm|
|Wednesday (Revised Date)||Oct. 25||10:00 am|
|Thursday||Nov. 02||10:00 am|
|Wednesday||Nov. 08||2:00 pm|
|Tuesday||Nov. 21||9:00 am|
|Thursday||Nov. 30||10:00 am|
|Monday||Dec. 04||2:00 pm|
If you interested in applying and are unable to attend one of these sessions, please call Director McIntosh at 919-464-2352.
The Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) curriculum at Johnston Community College is designed to prepare individuals with the basic skills and knowledge needed to become a certified law enforcement officer in North Carolina in accordance with both North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission and North Carolina Sheriff’s Training and Standards Commission requirements.
This program utilizes state commission-mandated standards, topics, and methods of instruction.
General subjects include; but are not limited to:
- subject control/arrest techniques
- criminal law
- juvenile law
- motor vehicle law
- civil process
- criminal investigation
- patrol techniques
- court procedures
This course will present 36 blocks of instruction, with 18 hours of testing throughout the course. The courses are mandated by North Carolina Criminal Justice Training and Standards Commission and North Carolina Sheriff’s Training and Standards Commission requirements.
The courses include practical skills in the following areas:
- emergency vehicle operation
- the use of firearms
- physical fitness
- traffic law enforcement
- first responder/CPR
- subject control/arrest techniques
- domestic violence response
The Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) curriculum at Johnston Community College is an academy designed to prepare individuals with the skills needed to become entry level law enforcement officers in North Carolina.
This program utilizes state commission-mandated topics and methods of instruction. General subjects include, but are not limited to: subject control, firearms, criminal, juvenile, traffic, civil, investigative, patrol, court procedures, emergency responses and ethics.
Students must pass all blocks of instruction to pass the BLET course which includes all practical exercises and written exams. After successful completing BLET, the student may be eligible to take the cumulative State exam which is mandated by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and the North Carolina Sheriff's Education and Training Standards Commission to receive certification as a probationary law enforcement officer to apply for hire at a law enforcement agency.