Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
The ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) test is a proctored, online, multiple choice exam that measures entry level skills and abilities of applicants to JCC's Health Sciences programs. The TEAS test measures your knowledge and skills in the areas of science, math, language and reading. All JCC students applying for the following programs are required to take the TEAS test:
The test is offered between September - February of the year the applicant applies.
TEAS testing is only offered for Johnston Community College Health Sciences student applicants. Applicants applying to non-JCC Health Sciences Programs will not be allowed to test.
How to Prepare for the ATI TEAS Exam
ATI TEAS test preparation materials are available through the Assessments Technology Institute and through JCC's Academic Skills Center.
TEAS preparation and study materials are available via hardcopy books and online resources at the JCC library.
How to Register for the TEAS Exam
Test Option 1
Health Science Program candidates are highly encouraged to utilize both ATI's online TEAS proctoring service and the College's testing center for TEAS testing. Candidates utilizing ATI's online proctoring service will pay all testing fees and schedule the ATI TEAS test with through the student's individual TEAS account. The JCC Testing Center does not proctor ATI TEAS exams remotely. In order for JCC to access your remotely tested ATI TEAS test with ATI, you must associate your Institution Info, of your TEAS account, with Johnston CC ADN in your profile.
Test Option 2
If a candidate desires to test at the College's testing center, you may follow the instructions below:
- Determine if you meet admission requirements for a JCC Health Science competitive program by reviewing the specific program Admissions Requirements/Policy. Links to the program specific web pages are listed at the top of this webpage.
- Be admitted to JCC and have your JCC Student ID number.
- Create your free ATI student account as this is required to take the TEAS test. Be sure to write down your login credentials and bring them with you on test day.
- Schedule your TEAS exam at JCC by clicking here.
- Pay your $70 test fee at the JCC Cashier's Office or by calling (919) 209-2165.
If you have questions or you need special accommodations for testing, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator at least 30 days before registering for your test.
You may only schedule a maximum of two test appointments in the JCC test center per application year.
What to Expect on Test Day (JCC Test Center Only)
On test day, you will need to bring the following items with you:
- Photo Identification is required (driver's license, passport, state, military, national, or tribal ID, naturalization or permanent resident card) for admission into the Testing Center. No test will be administered without a current photo identification, no exceptions.
- ATI account login credentials (username and password).
- Payment receipt for the cost of your exam.
Students who arrive for check-in and do not have the items above will not be allowed to test. You should plan for testing to last approximately four hours, to include time for registration and pretest instructions.
Arrive no later than 20 minutes before start time. Late arrivals will not be allowed to test and rescheduling may not be possible.
Please bring as little as possible to the test center. All unnecessary personal items should be left in a secure location outside the test center. Any items brought with you will be locked in a secure locker prior to entrance into the testing lab. You will be expected to empty your coat and pants pockets during check-in.
All food and drink brought to the lab must be placed into the trash upon check-in.
General Exam Rules
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Testing Center.
- You are allowed and encouraged to bring your own wooden pencils and erasers for your scratch work. Pens are not allowed for use with scratch work.
- Cell phones are not allowed.
- Scratch paper will be provided by the Testing Center. You are not allowed to use your own scratch paper. All scratch paper will be collected and destroyed after testing.
- Earphones for the purposes of noise reduction are not allowed during testing unless approved by the Disability Services Coordinator. Earplugs may be allowed but must be approved by the proctor before testing begins.
- Once you finish your exam, you are free to leave the Testing Center.
Instructions for Obtaining Your Exam Results
Post-completion of your TEAS exam, your test results will be made available to you online through your free ATI account after all TEAS exams have been completed for that specific testing day. The test proctor will not provide you with a copy of your results. You may obtain your exam results by:
- Logging into your ATI account
- Under the main menu select My Results
- Your scores will populate under Proctored Assessments