Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
The ATI TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills) test is a proctored, online, multiple choice exam that measures entry level skills and abilities of applicants to JCC's Health Sciences programs. The TEAS test measures your knowledge and skills in the areas of science, math, language and reading. All JCC students applying for the following programs are required to take the TEAS test:
The test is offered between October-February of the year the applicant applies.
Prospective students for Nursing, Medical and Cardiac Vascular Sonography, must score at the Proficient, Advanced, or Exemplary level to be considered for admission. TEAS testing is only offered for Johnston Community College Health Sciences applicants who have been approved for testing.
How to Prepare for the ATI TEAS Exam
ATI TEAS test preparation materials are available through Assessments Technology Institute and through JCC's Academic Skills Center.
How to Register for the TEAS Exam
Approved Health Science Program candidates are highly encouraged to utilize both ATI's online TEAS proctoring service and the College's testing center for TEAS testing. Candidates will pay all testing fees and schedule the ATI TEAS test with ATI's online proctoring service through the student's individual TEAS account. Students should be prepared to take their TEAS test exclusively online as physical testing may not be possible for all students.
If a candidate desires to test at the College's testing center, instructions will be provided on how to register for your TEAS exam after you have been approved for testing by the Health Sciences Admissions Coordinator. After you register for your testing appointment, please create your free ATI student account as this is required to take the TEAS test. Be sure to write down your login credentials and bring them with you on test day.
If you have questions or you need special accommodations for testing, please contact the Disability Services Coordinator at least 30 days before registering for your test.
What to Expect on Test Day (JCC Test Center Only)
On test day, you will need to bring the following items with you:
- Photo Identification is required (driver's license, passport, state, military, national, or tribal ID, naturalization or permanent resident card) for admission into the Testing Center. No test will be administered without a current photo identification, no exceptions.
- ATI account login credentials (username and password).
- TEAS test ticket that authorized your TEAS test at JCC.
- Payment receipt for the cost of your exam.
Students who arrive for check-in and do not have all four items above will not be allowed to test. You should plan for testing to last approximately 4 hours, to include time for registration and pretest instructions. Arrive no later than 20 minutes before start time. Late arrivals will not be allowed to test and rescheduling may not be possible.
Please bring as little as possible to the test center. All unnecessary personal items should be left in a secure location outside the test center. You will be expected to empty your coat and pants pockets during check-in. All food and drink brought to the lab must be placed into the trash upon check-in.
General Exam Rules
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Testing Center.
- You are allowed and encouraged to bring your own wooden pencils and erasers for your scratch work. Pens are not allowed for use with scratch work.
- Cell phones are not allowed.
- Scratch paper will be provided by the Testing Center. You are not allowed to use your own scratch paper. All scratch paper will be collected and destroyed after testing.
- Earphones for the purposes of noise reduction are not allowed during testing unless approved by the Disability Services Coordinator. Earplugs may be allowed but must be approved by the proctor before testing begins.
- Once you finish your exam, you are free to leave the Testing Center.
Instructions for Obtaining Your Exam Results
Post-completion of your TEAS exam, your test results will be made available to you online through your free ATI account after all TEAS exams have been completed for that specific testing day. The test proctor will not provide you with a copy of your results. You may obtain your exam results by:
- Logging into your ATI account
- Under the main menu select My Results
- Click on EXAM and your scores will populate.