Placement Testing Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to take a placement test?

A placement assessment is only necessary if a student does not meet the RISE multiple measures policy.

What is included on the placement test?

The parts of the test consist of arithmetic and Algebra, reading comprehension, and revising and editing writing. The parts you take depend on your program of study and your qualification for waiver via RISE multiple measures.

How can I study and prepare for the placement test?

You can prepare for the test by visiting this webpage.  Be sure to focus on Algebra, Arithmetic, and English preparation.

What do I need to bring to the Testing Center on test day?

A student must present a government-issued photo ID to enter the Testing Center.  Scratch paper, pencils and a calculator will be provided for you, although you may bring your own pencils in you desire.  All cell phones, smartwatches, and Fitbits must be turned OFF and you will required to store them in a secure locker before you enter Testing Center. 

How long will the test take?

The length of time necessary to take the assessment depends upon factors such as how many parts of the placement test you are required to take and your specific testing ability.  You should plan for 2-4 hours of time to take your assessment, although it may take you longer than four hours.

When will I receive my results?

Your assessment results will be given to you at the time you complete your assessment.

Do my placement test scores really matter?

Most definitely! Your scores determine whether you are proficient in English and math. If you are proficient in these areas, you can register for the first, college-level English/math for your program of study. If you are not proficient, you must take a transition course(s), which will prolong your enrollment in college-level English and math.

Can I retake the placement test?

Any portion of the placement test may be retaken once with a minimum of ten days in between test dates.  

If I have a disability, can I make special arrangements?

Yes. If alternative accommodations are necessary because of a disability, requests for approval, assistance, and scheduling should be arranged through the JCC's Coordinator of Accessibility Services.