College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Johnston Community College is a national test center for the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), which offers online computerized testing for college course credit. CLEP exams allow you to receive credit if a minimum score is obtained. JCC students, as well as the general public, may take CLEP exams in the Testing Center. Johnston Community College is authorized to offer ALL available CLEP tests by the College Board. Advance registration is required and subject to staff approval.
For questions and to find out more information about these exams, you can visit the College Board's test preparation website. To secure a reservation for an exam date, please complete the following steps no later than 48 hours before the scheduled test date:
- Create your free College Board account and purchase your exam.
- Download and save you CLEP Exam Registration Ticket from your confirmation email from the College Board. An example is in the Information for Test Takers Booklet (PDF). You will be required to upload this document at the time of registration.
- Schedule your CLEP test.
- You may pay JCC's CLEP test administration fee of $15 the day of testing at the Cashier's Office, which is located in the Wilson Building on the JCC main campus. All checks and money orders should be made payable to Johnston Community College.
NOTE: Students who have not preregistered for testing (by completing steps 1-4 above) will not be allowed to test. Walk-in CLEP testing is not allowed.
On test day, please adhere to the following items below:
- Arrive no later than 20 minutes before start time to allow for check-in and to receive a test center brief
- Please bring a government photo ID as this is required for check-in before you are seated for your exam. High school or college student IDs are not acceptable forms of identification.
- Please bring with you your CLEP Registration Ticket
- Please bring your $15 receipt of payment from the Cashier's Office
For students requesting examination for a CLEP exam that requires a separate essay, there is an additional charge of $10 to cover the written essay portion. After the student takes the computerized assessment, the student may take the paper-based essay portion. The minimum credit granting score must be obtained on the CLEP multiple-choice test before the essay portion is attempted. Please allow at least four weeks for a written essay exam to be ordered and obtained from College Board before scheduling your exam.
Any questions regarding CLEP testing may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call (919) 209-2128.
CLEP Test Score Results and Retaking a Test
CLEP test results are received immediately after the computerized exam is complete. Students receive an unofficial score report after completing their test. Your score is sent instantaneously to the College Board. If requested at the time of the exam, an official transcript of the course grade is sent within one to three weeks to the recipient college from CLEP. The CLEP score release dates for College Composition and Spanish with Writing can be found at this website.
CLEP regulations state that if a student does not successfully pass an exam, he or she must wait six months to retake the same exam if you tested prior to October 17, 2014. Students who take a CLEP exam after October 17, 2014 will need to wait three months before repeating the same exam.
CLEP for Military Personnel
Certain members of the U.S. Armed Services, veterans, their spouses, and civilian employees may be eligible for Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) funding to take a CLEP exam. Proper military ID is required on the day of testing. All DANTES eligible service members will still be required to pay JCC's administrative fee of $15.