Where is Johnston Community College located?
JCC’s main campus is conveniently located near the intersection of I-95 and Highway 70 East in Smithfield, North Carolina. Get driving directions.

How do I begin the admission process?

  • Apply
  • Request official transcripts from your high school and each college attended
  • Submit transcripts to:
    Office of Enrollment and Student Services
    P O Box 2350
    Smithfield, NC 27577

    IMPORTANT: Official transcripts are received in a sealed envelope from your high school or college(s).
    Do not open the envelope!
    Official transcripts can also be sent electronically from one institution to another.

Do I have to be a high school graduate to enter the program?
Yes, all applicants must have graduated from an accredited high school before entering the program.

What if I took the GED or graduated from an Adult High School, do I still need my high school transcript?
Yes, this can help determine if you have met the admission requirements.

Do you accept the GED/ diploma/ adult high school diploma?

I took a class at a University in 1994 and the course doesn't pertain to the Radiography Program. Do I need to obtain an official transcript?
Yes, we need official transcripts from your high school and all Colleges attended. NO EXCEPTIONS!

What are the admission requirements for the Associate Degree Radiography program?

  • Graduation from high school or the equivalent before entering the program
  • Applicants must have completed at least two science courses: Biology or Advanced Biology, Chemistry or Physics with a grade of “C” or higher
  • Meet the JCC minimum requirements for ENG 111 and MAT 143

How can I meet the requirements for ENG 111 and MAT 143?
Please refer to the College website for additional information.

Are there courses I can take while I am waiting to be admitted to the program?
Yes, if you do not meet the requirements, courses are available to meet the science or math requirements. Please visit our web-site to view the Radiography curriculum. Any course without a RAD prefix can be taken prior to gaining admission into the program.

Do I need to complete all the related courses before I can be admitted to the program?
No, although many students do complete all general education courses prior to beginning the radiography coursework because it lightens their course load.

I have taken a Math course at an out-of-state college and I wasn't given transfer credit and I feel like it is the same as your course. What can I do?
Obtain a course description from the College and contact the Registrar’s Office.

What if I only had biology and not another science course can I use Anatomy & Physiology to meet the science requirements?
BIO 168 and BIO 169 cannot be used to meet the science admission requirements.

I have taken Anatomy & Physiology at another college over twenty years (20) years ago will I need to retake the course?
Currently, we do not have a time limit on Anatomy & Physiology for the Radiography program.

Can I take a foreign language as my Humanities/Fine Arts Elective?
PHI 240 is the humanities course to meet this elective.

Can I complete the Associate Degree Radiography program part-time?
The related course work can be completed part-time, but once you are admitted to the program it is a full-time commitment.

What day and approximate time are the day classes?
Radiography classes/clinical are daytime and usually over by 3:00 pm depending on the semester. Students taking general education requirements may be longer. Students are required to perform night and weekend clinical rotations in which they are notified of the dates and times at the beginning of the semester.

Where do students complete their clinical training?
Clinical experiences are held at Johnston Health-Smithfield, Johnston Health-Clayton, Wayne UNC Healthcare, Sampson Regional Medical Center, Sampson Regional ODC, Harnett Health Betsy Johnson, Eastern Carolina Medical Center, Cardinal Points Imaging-Clayton, Central Harnett Hospital, UNC Orthopedics of Goldsboro, and Wayne Radiologists, PA.

Can I take classes on any JCC campus?
Some related courses are offered at the Work Force Development Center in Clayton however, most courses are available only on the main campus in Smithfield.

Do you offer the Radiography program in the evening?
No, only available during the day.

What if I meet the requirements and have completed all of the related course(s) can I be accepted into the program?
You can be considered for admission to the Radiography program. It is a competitive program and has more applicants than seats available.

Do you have a waiting list?
No, applicants must apply each year to be considered.

How are applicants selected for the Radiography Program?
Currently, the College uses a point ranking system using your college course work and the Health Occupations Test (TEAS).

How many students do you accept and do you admit each semester?
Approximately thirty (30) are admitted Fall Semester of each year.

How many semesters is the Radiography program?
Five (5)-Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring

Can I work while in the Radiography program?
We cannot tell students not to work however, we suggest not letting your work interfere with your college courses.

Is your radiography program accredited?
Yes, Johnston Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Radiography program is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on the Education of Radiologic Technologists.

I live close to another Community College can I take the CNA class at that College?
Yes, CNA must be completed at a State-Approved Training Program. A list of approved schools can be viewed at State-Approved Nurse Aide I Training Programs (PDF). CNA is not required for program application but gives students additional points on the point ranking.

I am CPR certified by the American Heart Association and my card does not read “Healthcare Provider”. Do I need to retake the CPR class?

Where can I obtain “Healthcare Provider” CPR certification?
Contact the Division of Continuing Education at any Community College or if you are presently working in a health care facility they may offer the course at the facility.

How long is the CPR certification valid?
Two years (2) however, you cannot let the CPR certification lapse while in the program.

How will the College know if I am CPR certified?
You will receive a card upon completion of the CPR class.

How can I prepare for the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
Study guides are available in the book store, you can Google search internet study sites and we have a prep program in our academic skills center. You can visit the ATI Testing web site for additional information.

How can I schedule to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
You must submit the Radiography program specific application and have met all admission requirements.

What is the cost of the Health Occupations Test?
The cost is fifty-five ($55.00) dollars and subject to change without notice.

How many times a year can I take the Radiography Admission test (TEAS)?
Twice per academic year.

Will I receive my scores the day of testing?
Yes, they will be available on the ATI website.

Can I take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) admission test at another college and transfer the scores to JCC?
JCC will accept TEAS scores directly from ATI.

I have a master’s degree will I have to take the Health Occupations Radiography Test (TEAS)?
Yes, all applicants applying to the Associate Degree Radiography Program must take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS).

Do I need a picture ID to take the TEAS test?
Yes, you must present a picture ID on your scheduled date of testing.

How many hours does it take to complete the TEAS test?
Please allow three and one-half hours (3 ½).

Will I be taking the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) test on a computer?

Do I have to submit to a criminal background check and a drug screening?
Yes, all accepted applicants are required by our clinical affiliates to submit to criminal background and drug screening, and random drug screens. Criminal background checks and drug screenings must be completed through the college's designated service provider.

Can the information from a criminal background jeopardize my ability to complete the Radiography program?
Yes, the student’s ability to participate in clinical experiences would result in the inability of the student to complete the program.

Do I have to complete the criminal background and drug screening before acceptance?

Does the College review the criminal background checks?
No, the clinical affiliates have access.

I have lived out-of state and moved recently to North Carolina. Can information on a criminal background check be completed for another state?

How do I apply to the Associate Degree Radiography program?
Applicants applying for Fall, or for advance placement:

  • You will need to attend a Virtual Health Science Information Session-available on the program web page.
  • Applications are required to be submitted in packet form. The packet should contain: program specific application for admission to the Associate Degree Radiography program, a copy of your CNA certification of completion or job shadowing form for extra points on point ranking.
  • Official transcripts from high school and all colleges attended must be on file in the Admissions Office at JCC

Should I job shadow in Radiography?
Job shadowing is highly encouraged. Applicants will get additional points on the point ranking for job shadowing or CNA certification.

What are some of the job duties/characteristics of a Radiographer?
Taking images of the patient, patient care, communication, team player with the healthcare team.

Do I have to touch people?
Yes, as a radiographer you must provide patient care. You will also encounter blood and body fluids.

Do I have to work with needles in Radiography?
Yes, radiographers start IV's.

What can I expect as a typical day for a Radiographer?
Your day may vary depending on what type of facility that you work in. You will do routine x-rays, mobile exams, fluoroscopy, and surgery as part of your job.

Contact Information

Ann P. Jackson
Department Chair of Imaging Programs
Office: Health F172A
 (919) 209-2156

Admissions Office
(919) 209-2128