Health and Fitness Science
The Health and Fitness Science program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for employment in the fitness and exercise industry. Students will be trained in exercise science and be able to administer basic fitness tests and health risk appraisals, teach specific exercise and fitness classes and provide instruction in the proper use of exercise equipment and facilities. Graduates should qualify for employment opportunities in commercial fitness clubs, YMCA’s/YWCA’s, wellness programs in business and industry, Parks & Recreation Departments and other organizations implementing exercise & fitness programs.
As an HFS student you will be actively engaged from the start of the program until graduation! This hands on program focuses on developing critical skills, knowledge and experiences to successfully pursue careers in the health and fitness industry.
Most classes will be in our state of the art fitness center. You will learn and use an array of fitness equipment as well as participate in trending fitness activities to expand your skill set – Ropes course, anyone!
You will build your foundational knowledge of human anatomy, business principles and first aid & CPR. Our work based experiential learning opportunities will place in top local fitness establishments so that you can gain real world work experience while in school. Our goal is to provide you with a top notch education in a wide range of key areas that give you marketable skills to land in demand careers in the health and fitness industry. Let’s go! #Buildbetterbodies
- Employ core knowledge of exercise science to appropriately meet various health, fitness and sports’ requirements.
- Create and execute individual and group fitness programs using correct methods, techniques, and exercises.
- Assess and evaluate physical fitness and health for assorted populations
- Effectively communicate to various audiences about health & fitness information, strategies and wellness plans
- Demonstrate ability to properly use a wide variety of fitness equipment and related technology to promote good health, fitness and overall well-being.
- Understand general business principles related to health and fitness industry
- Gain direct and relevant experience through structured work based learning environments
- Personal Trainers
- Fitness Instructors
- Gym Managers/Administration
- Wellness Coaches
- Athletic Trainer
- Exercise Physiologist
Feel free to contact us:
Health & Fitness Instructor
Smith Building G Room 122