Paramedic Certificate Program
Hybrid: Tuesday / Wednesday Shift Friendly Schedule
Thank you for your interest in the Emergency Medical Science – Hybrid Paramedic Certificate
Program. This shift friendly course allows you to choose from the available days which
day you want to come to class. The course will include online coursework, campus classroom
work, psychomotor lab (hands-on) sessions, hospital clinical, field internship and
evaluations. This program meets the NCOEMS and National EMS Education Standards and
AHA Guidelines. Upon successful completion of the program, the student will qualify
to take the NC Office of EMS Paramedic credentialing exam and National Registry Paramedic
exam. After reviewing this packet, if you have any questions, please contact Brittany
Baker, CE Program Coordinator, at 919-464-2299 or email@example.com
The 2023 Hybrid Certificate Paramedic Program will start Monday February 6th Online and will meet in person for the first date on campus on Tuesday, February 7th or Wednesday, February 8th. Students must show up the first day for the day in the section they signed up for (03U: Tuesday / 04U: Wednesday).
The Paramedic is the highest level of credential in the pre-hospital setting. Student training includes the use of complex medical equipment, such as manual monitors/defibrillators, the administer on various medications and the performance of skills per State and National standards. JCC students receive certifications in numerous additional practices such as Advance Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS), and Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS). Students learn the necessary skills needed in today's ever evolving medical field to recognize, treat, and reverse life threatening conditions.
The Hybrid Certificate Paramedic Program is a 10-month program divided into two parts. The student will complete approximately 454 didactic (lecture) hours, 302 psychomotor lab (hands-on) hours and 504 clinical (field/hospital) hours within the class. Students will complete the majority of didactic material online and will meet in person on a shift-friendly schedule, either Tuesday or Wednesday 8:30 a.m. -5:30 p.m. per the course schedule. The course includes occasional weekend and Friday classes per the course schedule. The 2023 Hybrid Certificate Paramedic Program will start Monday February 6th Online and will meet in person for the first date on campus on Tuesday, February 7th or Wednesday, February 8th.
Entry Test for the Paramedic Course
DON’T WAIT if you have to complete an entry test. Testing can be complete before the application is submitted. If you need instruction in English or Math, you will need to allow time for completion and retesting before the paramedic course starts.
NC Office of EMS requires all applicants to have:
- Successful completion of college-level English (ENG 111 at minimum), or within the previous 12 months complete a written assessment placing the individual into college-level English.
- Successful completion of college-level Math (MAT 110 at minimum), or within the previous 12 months complete a written assessment placing the individual into college-level Math.
Written Entry Test
Johnston Community College will offer the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) test for students requiring placement testing. If the applicant does not meet the required levels, the applicant can enter into remediation classes. Once completed, the applicant will be required to complete the TABE test again; Completion of remediation classes will be confirmed by the testing department and a letter will be provided stating students meet the requirements for entry into the Paramedic course. Applicant must pass the entry test or complete remediation before they can be accepted in the Paramedic course. Remediation will be offered in the Fall semester until November 30th. Spring remediation classes will begin on January 6th and must be completed prior to February 6th, 2023.
How to Register for Entry Test
TABE testing will be held on the following dates:
- Thursday, October 20th at 9am
- Wednesday, November 16th at 9am
- Thursday, December 8th at 9am
Students in need of placement testing should email Brittany Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org with the date that they are available for testing and include their full name, phone number, address, email address and date of birth. Photo ID is required to be presented the day of testing at the Academic Skills Center in the Learning Resource Center (LRC) on the JCC campus. Students should arrive 15 minutes early for testing to complete registration.
Applicants do not have to take the entry test if they meet the State requirement by holding a college degree, taken college English (ENG 111 at minimum) and Math (MAT 110 at minimum).
Paramedic Certification Program Admission Process
***** Entry testing is recommended before completing the admission process. *****
Step One: Pre-Admission Process
- Complete Hybrid Paramedic Certificate Program Application.
- Submit with program application: (Applications are considered incomplete without the
- A copy of valid state driver’s license.
- A copy of EMT credential or proof of successful completion of an EMT course (valid/active NC credential is required prior to entry into clinicals).
- Documentation of high school graduation or GED.
- A copy of valid AHA Health provider BLS/CPR card.
- A copy of medical insurance, if applicable.
- If applicable, documentation to be exempt from entry testing. Must be official documentation.
- Application may be delivered to:
Johnston Community College
Public Safety Services Building (Building J)
245 College Road
Smithfield, NC 27577
Attn: Brittany Baker, CE Program Coordinator
- Applications may be emailed to Brittany Baker at email@example.com
Submit applications as soon as they are completed to Brittany Baker, CE Program Coordinator. This will allow time for entry testing (if applicable) and completion of the application process. The application deadline for the 2023 Hybrid Paramedic Certificate Program is Friday January 20th, 2022. (Students who require placement testing, must complete testing and e any required remediation and retesting by February 6th to be eligible to enroll.)
Step Two: Attend Orientation Session
- Attend a program orientation session located in the Public Safety Building, Room J1360.
Orientation sessions usually last 2 to 3 hours. Sessions are scheduled for:
- Tuesday, January 24th at 10am and Wednesday, January 25th at 10am (students need only to attend one orientation session)
- You will complete a JCC Continuing Education Registration Form or at orientation
- Pay Registration Fee for Part I of the Certificate Paramedic Course. You may be asked
to pay for registration online through JCC Self-Service or contact JCC Cashiers Office
- For fee exemption, student must be on a NC primary emergency response provider that is approved by NC Community College System. When you complete your registration form you MUSTindicate the provider, your position (i.e. EMT, firefighter, etc.) and must sign the registration form.
- Purchase $19 Liability insurance coverage policy through Johnston Community College. Students musthave coverage per contracts with clinical agencies. Coverage will be included with registration payment on line. Liability insurance is not covered by provides or State Community College if you are granted fee exemption; Meaning even if you are fee waived with affiliation, you must still pay this $19 fee.
If you have any questions about the admission process, please contact Brittany Baker, CE Program Coordinator, at 919-464-2299 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Before Course Begins:
(Discussed in detail at orientation)
- Purchase access to Platinum Planner and EMS Testing. Purchase instructions will be provided at orientation.
- Purchase class resource materials:
- Textbook & Workbook: Sanders' Paramedic Textbook, Fifth Edition, and Workbook combined, ISBN: 9781284178340. Resources can be purchase at Johnston Community College Book store or online at http://www.jblearning.com/cart/Default.aspx?bc=17834-0&ref=psg&coupon=JCCNC12.
- Additional resources are required for specialty certification classes offered during the course (ACLS, PALS, PEPP, PHTLS, AMLS, and GEMS). Prices vary depending on where you make your purchase.
A & P Requirement (Co-Requisite)
If a student has previously taken an A&P course that meets NC OEMS requirements, documentation must be submitted for verification. Courses that meet the requirement include:
- EMS 3163
- BIO 163
- BIO 165 AND BIO 166
- BIO 168 AND BIO 169
EMS 3163 will be offered twice during the paramedic course as a co-requisite. Completion of A&P prior to the end of the course is a requirement by NC OEMS. Additional information regarding the first course offered will be provided at orientation.
Must be completed by March 15th, 2023:
- Complete a background check, urine drug screen and submit immunizations records through Viewpoint Screening (purchase information will be provided at orientation).
Students must purchase access and upload all documentation to their profile.
More information provided at orientation.
- Immunizations required are: Influenza Vaccine (after September 1st, 2022); Tdap (with tetanus booster within last ten years); TB Skin Test (2 injections) [no less than 8 days but no more than 21 days apart] or CXR within 6 months or TB Quantitative Blood Draw; Hepatitis B Vaccine Series, positive Titer, or Declination Form; Varicella Vaccine (2 injections) or Positive Titer; and MMR Vaccine (2 injections) or Positive Titer.
- Students MUST be completely vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the start of the clinical phase on April 1st, 2023 (Vaccination records must be uploaded by March 15th). This includes (2) doses of Pfizer or Moderna or (1) dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccines. Currently, we have no information regarding requirement of booster vaccines, but this may change during the course.
- Complete a physical exam with a physician and complete a medical history form.
Breakdown of Course Cost
This is just a rough estimate. All prices for items from venders are subject to change. Prices vary per vendor.
Clinical Uniform Requirements
Students in the JCC EMS Paramedic program will be required to attend clinical internships
wearing their approved uniform. Students are required to wear uniforms to class. The uniform will consist of the following:
- JCC Clinical Uniform Polo Shirt * $35.00
- JCC Clinical Uniform T-shirt (optional) * $10.00
- EMS Style Uniform Pants $30.00 and up
- Black Leather or Nylon Duty Belt $15.00 and up
- Black Public Safety Shoes or Boots $50.00 and up
- All Weather Jacket $30.00 and up
- Reflective Traffic Vest $10.00
Total Uniform Cost: $180.00
* Items required to be purchased through the approved vendor by JCC EMS Program
Specialty Resources (Book and certification card cost estimate)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) $71.25
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) $56.25
- Pediatric Education for Prehospital
Professionals (PEPP) $75.00
- Prehospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) $85.00
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS) $80.00
- Geriatric Education for EMS (GEMS) $15.00
Total Specialty Book Cost: $382.50
Prices of specialty books vary depending on the vendor. Student are allowed to borrow books for class. Certification cards are optional, but successful completion of the specific courses is required to complete the Paramedic program.
Summary of Cost for Hybrid Paramedic Certificate Program
- Registration Fee Part I $180.00
- Registration Fee Part II (Pay in July) $180.00
- Viewpoint Screening $122.00
- EMS Testing & Platinum Planner $183.00
- Textbook & Workbook $470.00 and up
- Medical Malpractice Liability Insurance $19.00
- Total Uniform Cost $185.00 and up
Total Cost (Does not include specialty books) $1,327.00
Paramedic Certificate Program Application
Brittany Jackson Baker – Paramedic, B.S., MHS
EMT Program Coordinator
Johnston Community College
245 College Rd., Smithfield NC 27577