Education Program Description
The Education Programs at Johnston Community College prepare individuals to work with children from infancy in early childhood centers through high school learning environments.
These programs lead to an associate degree or various diplomas or certificates in the field of education. Several programs offer opportunities for students to transfer to a senior institution to complete a bachelor’s degree with teacher licensure (Birth to Kindergarten(B/K), Elementary Education, Middle Grades, High School, and Special Education).
The Associate in Arts in Teacher Preparation is a specialized transfer degree for students interested in pursuing a teacher licensure in elementary, middle, high school, or special education.
The Associate in Science in Teacher Preparation is a specialized transfer degree for students interested in pursuing a teacher licensure in elementary, middle, high school in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education related fields.
Within the degree programs, the student will have learning opportunities for the achievement of competence within the general education coursework such as:
- Oral communication
- Fundamental mathematical and natural science
- Social and behavioral sciences
- The humanities.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of this program students will:
- Show competence in general education coursework.
- Demonstrate a foundational understanding of the history, theories and trends of the current education system and the legal and professional expectations of an effective educator/teacher.
- Articulate their professional philosophy of teaching and learning.
- Show sound and ethical judgment to successfully lead a class of students exhibited during field experience assisting a teacher with individual tutoring, group monitoring, and whole class instruction.
- Demonstrate an understanding of diverse learners, inclusive classroom practices and cultural competence in order to meet the needs of a diverse population of students.
- Understand teacher licensure program requirements including field experiences and have a plan for coursework and transfer process in order to ensure successful transfer to four-year institution for teacher licensure program.
Carla W. Stafford, M.A. Ed.
Academic Advisor for Teacher Prep Programs