Frequently Asked Questions

I need my early childhood credentials, what do I need to do?
You apply to the college as a Special Credit Student if you only plan to take this one course. Once you hear from the admissions office that you are accepted, you meet with an advisor to schedule to take the EDU 119 Intro to Early Childhood course.

  • You will register and pay for the course before the deadline, then purchase your books from the bookstore.
  • When classes begin for the semester, you log into Blackboard from the Johnston Community College website to begin the course.
  • You must pass with a grade of "C" or better to apply for the credentials from the NC Division of Child Development and Early Education. The instructor will give you that information at the end of the semester.

Note: Financial Aid will not apply to Special Credit students, however TEACH scholarships are available through the NC Child Development Services Association.

I need to take the credentials class to work in child care, what do I do?  You need to take EDU 119-Intro to Early Childhood Education class. Click Admission & Aid tab on the JCC webpage. Click Apply for Admissions and then in that page click Special Credit/Visiting Student links.  Follow the steps required to be admitted into the college and eligible to register for EDU 119.

I need to take Early Childhood Education classes for a position in the field. What courses might I need to take?
Different positions in education require different courses and numbers of course hours for employment. Please check with the employer to confirm their requirements, and view our minimum course requirement guide (PDF) to working in early childhood education and related fields.

Do any of the JCC college EDU courses contain workforce requirements like playground safety training, CPR/FA, ITS-SIDS training, etc.?
JCC has embedded several workforce training requirements within our course requirements. Many students want to take additional classes to further their knowledge and also meet required workforce training needs in NC (DOCX).

I am with a local child development center and would consider having Johnston Community College early childhood students use our program for field practice such as practicums/internships, field experiences, observations, etc. How do I partner with JCC?
JCC's Early Childhood Education program strives to provide students with many opportunities for field observation and practice prior to graduation.

Many courses contain assignments that require observation or practice in a classroom with children. We partner with our on-site lab child development center as well as other high quality local children's programming sites for these experiences. Please contact us for more information.

If I am a returning student and I already took EDU 111 and EDU 112 and have my NC Early Childhood Credential, do I have to take EDU 119 Introduction to Early Childhood Education?
Yes. Although students who have obtained their NC Early Childhood Credential through the Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) years ago by taking EDU 111-ECE Credential I and EDU 112-ECE Credential II do not have to resubmit paperwork to the DCDEE, the EDU 111 and EDU 112 courses are no longer part of the NC Community College System Early Childhood programs (courses were archived).

EDU 119 is required for all Early Childhood Education AAS majors and is not the same course as EDU 111 and EDU 112.

Is it possible to take Early Childhood Education courses while in high school?
Yes, many local high schools have Early Childhood Education courses (ECE I and II) that can be taken as part of the high school curriculum and can result in college credit for EDU 119 if particular requirements are met.

In addition, eligible high school students can dually enroll with Johnston Community College (JCC) through the Career and College Promise (CCP) Program. CCP students can begin working on either of our Early Childhood Education Certificates (Preschool or Infant/Toddler Care) while they’re still in high school! Courses taken through CCP are tuition-free and CCP students earn both high school and college credit for their JCC courses.

For more information visit the Career and College Promise (CCP) website.


Tonia Padrick
Department Chair of Education Programs
(919) 209-2500

Admissions Office
(919) 209-2128