Infant/Toddler Care Certificate (C55290)

Program Description

The curriculum prepares individuals to work with children from infancy to three years of age in diverse learning environments. Students will combine learned theories, competency-based knowledge, and practice in actual settings with infants and toddlers.

Course work includes infant/toddler growth and development: physical/nutritional needs of infants and toddlers; safety issues in the care of infants and toddlers; care and guidance; communication skills with families and children; design an implementation of appropriate curriculum; and other related topics.

Graduates should be prepared to plan and implement developmentally appropriate infant/toddler programs in early childhood settings. Employment opportunities include child development and child care programs, preschools, public and private schools, recreational centers, Early Head Start Programs, and other infant/toddler programs.

Course Class Hours Lab Hours Clinical Hours Credits
EDU 119 - Intro to Early Childhood Education 4.00 4.00
EDU 131 - Child, Family, and Community 3.00 3.00
EDU 144 - Child Development I 3.00 3.00
EDU 153 - Health, Safety and Nutrition 3.00 3.00
EDU 234 - Infants, Toddlers, and Twos 3.00 3.00
Total: 16

Upon completion of the EDU-119 course within the certificate shown above, students who have earned a C or better are eligible to apply for the North Carolina Early Childhood Credential (NCECC). 

Applications are available through the North Carolina Division of Child Development and Early Education. See your advisor for more details.

Upon completion of the certificate shown above, students are eligible to apply for the National Child Development Associate Credential (CDA) (Infant/Toddler CDA credential) provided through the Council for Professional Recognition in Washington, DC.

Students must earn a C or better in all courses. These courses count for the 120 hours of professional education requirement. Additional requirements for the CDA must also be met prior to applying. See your advisor for more details or go to the Council for Professional Recognition and Child Development Associate (CDA).