Placement Testing and Orientation
Placement Testing and Orientation is required for entry into all Basic Skills Programs.
Students will be assessed on their skill levels in reading and math. These assessment scores will be used in placing students in a class which is appropriate for their skill level.
- There is no cost for placement testing.
- Placement testing is conducted at JCC's main campus in Smithfield. The Testing Center is located in room A111 in the Elsee Building.
- Our Testing Center operates in an open lab setting. No appointment is needed and it is on a first come, first served basis. The schedule for testing is listed in the table below.
- Students are required to bring a valid government-issued photo ID with their name and date of birth.
- Placement testing will take about three hours and a half to complete. Please arrive early enough to allow enough time before the Testing Center's scheduled closing time.
- Children and guests are not permitted into the testing session with the students.
Testing Center Schedule:
|Daytime||-||9 a.m. - 12 p.m.||9 a.m. - 12 p.m.||9 a.m. - 12 p.m.|
|Afternoon/Evening||5 p.m. - 8 p.m.||3 p.m. - 8 p.m.||-||3 p.m. - 8 p.m.|
New Student Orientation
After completing placement testing, students will be given information about the dates and times of upcoming orientation sessions. All students wishing to enter a Basic Skills class must attend an orientation session before entering a class. Orientation is by Appointment only!
Orientation lasts about an hour and typically takes place on Tuesday - Thursday. The schedule for Orientation is listed in the table below. During orientation, students will learn about Basic Skills Programs and how to progress from one program to another. Students will receive test scores and class schedules in order to begin attending classes.
New Student Orientation Schedule: **By Appointment ONLY**
|Daytime||-||11 a.m. - 12 p.m.||-||-|
5 p.m. - 6 p.m.
Assessment, Recruitment Coordinator and Chief Examiner
Academic and Career Readiness
The Testing Center: (919) 209-2123