Information for Underage Students
Individuals who are 16 or 17 years of age may be granted admission into a Basic Skills program if certain criteria can be met.
1. Is student legally emancipated?
NO - Student and parent must petition their high school for the enrollment of a minor.
YES - Student may enroll in classes once they have provided documentation verifying emancipation.
2. Does student have a government issued photo ID?
NO - Please contact the NC Department of Motor Vehicles for information on obtaining a photo ID.
YES - Students will be required to present ID at the time of placement testing.
3. Has student been officially withdrawn from school for more than six months?
NO - Student isrequired to obtain a Release/Referral from the school last attended.
YES - Student is not required to obtain a Release/Referral from the school last attended.
Underage students will need to submit the following:
- Parent/Guardian Petition for the Admission of a Minor (must be notarized)
- Release/Referral From Public/Private/Charter/Home School
You can find a printable version of both of these documents here.
These documents must be completed and received at the Basic Skills Office before an underage student is allowed to complete assessment testing.