Federal Funding Sources

To apply for any of these federal funding sources, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov.

6 Things Students Need Before They Fill Out the 2024–25 FAFSA® Form 

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grant is generally awarded to undergraduate students with financial need who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. 

The Student Aid Index (SAI) will determine eligibility and the amount to be received.  If eligible, the amount paid will depend on full-time or part-time student status and whether the student attends school for a full academic year or less.

The school code for Johnston Community College is 009336.

*For prorated amounts for less than full-time enrollment (PDF)

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a smaller grant that is awarded to students with the greatest financial need, i.e., lowest Student Aid Index (SAI). Limited funds are provided by the federal government and are awarded by the JCC Financial Aid Office to both full-time and part-time students.  Therefore, when the funds have been awarded, there will be no additional funds for the academic year.

Federal Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Most of the on-campus work is clerical in nature. Students will be paid monthly for the number of hours worked. Eligible students may work up to 20 hours per week. The rate of pay is at least the federal minimum wage.

Title IV Federal Student Loan Programs

The Johnston Community College Board of Trustees approved a resolution to discontinue the College’s participation in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program effective July 1, 2014. However, the staff in the Financial Aid Office are available to answer questions regarding loans and debt management.