Getting Started in an Online Course
- In order to log in to any JCC Student Online Account including Blackboard, and JCC
Student Email, you must have a current PortalGuard username and password. Due to security settings, all users must choose a new password
every 90 days. If you are having log in issues, first try to reset your PortalGuard
password by following these steps:
- Visit the Forgot Username page and follow the prompts to receive your username via email.
- Visit PortalGuard and click Forgot Password to enter your username, confirm your identity with a One Time Passcode, and create your password.
- If you do not receive the code or the email that the code was delivered to is inaccessible, please contact us at 919-464-2260 during regular business hours. You must be at your computer when you call.
- If you would like more detailed instructions to do this, please open this PDF.
- Find your courses in the "My Courses" box on the "My Institution" page. Click the
name of your course. If you cannot log in or your course is not there, check your
course's start date. The course (and your Blackboard account if you're new) will be
made available on the day classes begin.
- Allow 24 hours from the time of registration to access. If you still don't see your course link after that time, contact the Admissions office at (919) 209-2128.
- Explore all of the course menu items within the course. You will find: Syllabus, Instructor contact information, Grades, and more. Typically, after clicking on Weekly Lessons, you will find a Getting Started folder that houses an Enrollment Verification Quiz. All online students must complete this short quiz within the first few days of the course to fulfill JCC enrollment verifications. Once this quiz is completed, other items in your course begin to be available. The quiz is only for participation and is not graded.
If you are new to distance education, have never taken a Blackboard Learn course, or need a refresher, begin with our JCC Blackboard Student Orientation.