Howell Woods offers a variety of primitive campsites, each equipped with a fire ring
with a flip-down grill top, picnic table, trash receptacle, and lantern hanger.
Three of the six sites are suited for individual tents while the remainder are capable of accommodating large groups. Most campsites are within walking distance of an outhouse restroom.
Individual Tent Sites - $10 per tent per night
- Fox Squirrel Ridge. Located along the Diversity Trail System, this site overlooks a longleaf pine restoration site. Campers will enjoy a covered picnic shelter and quick access to a fishing pier on Hannah Creek.
- Hannah Creek (sites 1 &2). These are the most primate sites and are located on the banks of Hannah Creek. Campers can enjoy their privacy while fishing from camp. These two sites do not have access to restrooms within walking distance.
Group Camp Sites - Call for Rates
- Lone Pine Pond. Located closest to the Learning Center, this group site can accommodate 15-20 tents (4-6 person in size). Campers can enjoy fishing in Lone Pine Pond and quick access to hiking trails. A covered picnic shelter is also included.
- Fort Island Pond. Our largest group site capable of accommodating most groups. Campers
can spread out over this waterfront site and enjoy fishing from three piers.
A covered picnic shelter is included. Reservations can also be made for Kayaks and Canoes to be onsite for your enjoyment and an onsite primitive cabin can be rented for $30 a night.
- Neuse River Platform. This site is perfect for paddlers coming down the Neuse River. A raised and covered shelter is perfect for storing gear while taking a break from the river.
Potable water is not available at the campsites but can be accessed at the Learning Center. Generators and other AC/DC appliances that are heard outside the immediate camping area are not allowed.
Campers are asked not to bring firewood but can collect fallen debris around the campsite, firewood is available
for purchase at $5 per night.
Camping reservations can be made by filling out the form below or by calling the Learning Center at (919) 938-0115.
Payment accepted by phone, check or cash in person, or placed in the drop box.
Campers may check-in at 1:00 p.m. Checkout is 11:00 a.m.