Whitetail Deer and Feral Pig
Quality deer management practices are strictly followed for whitetail deer harvests. Feral pigs are liberally harvested to control the extent of damage done by these feral animals.
Volunteers upon earning the required number of hours to receive a hunt are eligible to participate in two four day hunts. The first hunt occurs in the fall/winter for deer and feral pigs the other in the spring for feral pigs only.
- To participate in the volunteer hunt, the hunter(s) must complete and mail/deliver a Volunteer Sign-Up Form (*fillable PDF:76KB/1p) before starting to work the required number of hours on a specific program, activity or project.
- The required number of hours must be completed before the hunter is allowed to hunt or before the requested hunt date is secured. As soon as the volunteer reaches the required number of volunteer hours for the number of slots requested, then the slots will be reserved.
- The use of personal tools or equipment receives one bonus hour per visit with more than four hours worked per visit. Four bonus hours are awarded for assisting with prescribed burning activities that last longer than four hours.
- Credit for volunteer hours is given only for actual work time conducted while under the supervision or direction of a Howell Woods staff member. Time for meal breaks is not credited.
- One volunteer may earn enough hours for multiple hunters, or volunteers may combine, share, or donate their hours to other hunters for the desired hunt option.
- Volunteer hunters may only receive assistance from staff members in recovering harvested animals.
- Additional or unused hours will be rolled over to the next calendar year.
- Volunteers may not volunteer during a hunt for which they are participating in by hunting.
- Volunteers are subject to the supervision of any Howell Woods staff member and must conform to all the safe working procedures as addressed in the Johnston Community College Safety Plan while working on the property or performing work off the property for the volunteer hour credits.
Volunteer Work Hours
Subject to change on a yearly basis.
*Volunteers may use 20 hours for each additional day
Volunteer Work Hours Needed
- 40 hours - 1 hunter/per two day hunt.
- Small Buck Harvest Penalty - $250.00
- Button Buck Harvest Penalty- $25.00