The JCC Student Emergency Support Fund provides one-time emergency funding to curriculum and continuing education students facing an unforeseen financial crisis. The goal of the program is to keep students who are in school and have otherwise planned for the cost of attendance on track to completing their educational goals.
The program provides an assistance amount of up to $250 per academic year, for up to four years, paid directly to vendors on behalf of the student or in the form of gift cards given directly to the student. Preference will be given to students who have not received assistance from this fund within the last four years. Career and College Promise students are not eligible to receive this funding.
Eligible Expenses Include:
- Car repairs/insurance
- Medical expenses
*Food needs will be met from available sources at the discretion of the awarding committee, to include the Elevation Market, Food Lion, and Walmart.
Ineligible Expenses Include:
- Cable bill
- Legal fees
For students to be considered eligible for this program, the following criteria must be set:
- The student must be currently experiencing an unforeseen financial emergency.
- The student must be at risk of being unable to continue in school due to an emergency.
- The student must be willing to speak with a counselor about a plan for future financial success.
- Curriculum students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher and must be registered for a minimum of 6 credit hours. Exceptions to the minimum credit hour requirement may be made.
- GPA requirements for students in their first semester will be handled like those of continuing education students.
- Sufficient documentation of hardship must be supplied such as, but not limited to:
- notification of loss of employment
- utility bill (including any late notices from the utility company)
- rent/mortgage bill (including any late notices from the landlord/management company or mortgage company)
- eviction notice
- childcare invoice
- Upon review of the emergency fund application, students may be asked to come to the Foundation office for an interview.
Optional: Recommendation from a JCC faculty or staff member.
Note: No checks will be made out to students – no exceptions.
Every effort will be made to fulfill approved requests within five (5) business days.
Assistance is granted without regard to race, creed, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender, disability, or national origin.
Anyone who believes he or she may be a candidate for emergency assistance is invited to complete an application or speak with a Foundation team member in the Foundation office located in Wilson or available by phone at (919) 209-2222