First Year Experience - Supporting Your College Student
Supporters of Undergraduates
As college students take on the adult responsibilities that come with enrollment, your role as a supporter will change, but remember your college student still needs you by their side. Your student will need you to support their academic growth, independence, development and provide stability in their new and evolving college world.
Learning to navigate through college is a journey and we have additional resources to help you throughout your students educational journey.
Support your college student by staying connected to you student and to our Jaguar Nation. Follow us on social media @jccedu to stay informed on deadlines, upcoming events, emergencies, construction deters and more.
Check in with your college student, see how they are feeling and what new ideas they may have. Ask questions and share resources that are available on campus to your student. Below are resources that are available to students.
Engaging with Your College Student
It is known for students to perform better when their parent and or guardian is involved in their education. Sometimes it can be hard for students to open up about how they are doing, and as a parent, you definitely want to know. Here are few questions you can use to start meaningful conversations.
- What was the best thing that happen to you today?
- What are you most excited about at JCC?
- What is your class schedule?
- What is something that made you laugh recently?
- Have you joined any clubs and or organizations yet?
- How do you plan to balance school, student life, and your social life?
- Were you able to help someone today?
- What was the most interesting thing you learned in class today?
- What are some of your goals for this semester?
- How can I support you?