Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know when payments are due for classes? 
Students will not receive a bill after registering for classes. They need to visit the cashier office or access their Self-Service account to verify their balance. Dates for registration, payments etc. are always posted on the Academic Calendar. Students that have registered for classes and have not paid by the last day are subject to deregistration. 

How can I pay for curriculum classes? 

  • Self- Service – Choose Student Finance Self Service, then under Student Finance; choose Make a Payment
  • Cashier Window – Cash, Check, Money Order, Credit/Debit Cards
  • By Phone to the Cashier – Using all major credit cards (919)209-2165
  • Nelnet Payment Plan – Set up through WebAdvisor under Student Financial Self Service
  • Financial Aid – Make sure all award amounts are verified with the FA office prior to last day to pay.
  • Sponsorships – (Paid by employer or third party) Sponsorship information must be on file in the business office prior to last day to pay.

How do I setup a Payment Plan? 
To set up a payment plan, students must log into Self-Service. Choose the tab for Financial Information, Student Finance, drop-down at the top of the page, and then choose Payment Plan Management. Follow the steps as prompted to sign up for the plan. Payment plans dates coincide with registration and payment dates. Please check the academic calendar for specific dates and be sure to sign up by the advertised payment deadline.

Please note the following in regards to payment plans

  • Down payment is 33% of the amount due, plus a $25 enrollment fee for FALL & SPRING Semester. Down payment is 50% of the amount due, plus $25 enrollment fee for SUMMER Semester.
  • The remaining balance is divided into 2 equal payments for FALL & SPRING and 1 payment for SUMMER. The remaining balance will be automatically deducted on prearranged dates set forth prior to each semester. 
  • Nelnet administers a $30 returned payment fee for any payment attempt that does not complete for any reason.
  • A new payment plan must be set up for each semester.
  • If receiving Financial Aid, the aid amount will be credited to the account after classes begin and will automatically adjust the remaining payments due. Any overpayment will be refunded.

529 Plan Payments:

For 529 plan payments, please have the company send a check to the following address:

Johnston Community College

Attn: Cashier’s Office

PO Box 2350

Smithfield, NC 27577


The 529 check must be made payable to Johnston Community College. Make sure the student ID # and full student name are included on the check memo line. Please ensure that your check amount matches the exact amount due or we unfortunately cannot accept the check.

Please try to make your best effort to have the check delivered before the payment deadline. If the check is not going to arrive on time, please email an official confirmation from the 529 company showing that the check is on the way to

State in the email that your 529 check is not going to arrive on time, and include your name, contact information, student ID # and semester being paid to secure your classes.

How/when do I pay for my Continuing Education class? 
Students should pay for classes immediately after registering. CE classes must be paid for no later than 5 business days prior to classes beginning. Payment for CE classes maybe made in person or by phone, by cash, check, debit or credit cards.

Exceptions: Please note that Streetsafe and Defensive Driving classes must be paid for immediately in order to complete your registration (save you seat in class). Please make payments via credit/debit card, money order, cashier’s check or cash for all Streetsafe, Defensive Driving or Motorcycle Safety classes. Checks are not accepted for these classes.

Sponsorships/Third-party Payments? 

  • The sponsorship form must be on company letterhead, be completed in its entirety, and signed by an authorized party. 
  • Submission of a new sponsorship form is required each semester.
  • Sponsored students should plan accordingly by submitting the sponsorship form to the Business Office no later than the last day to pay each semester. 
  • It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the Business Office receives the form. The Business Office cannot process a student’s sponsorship without the form or voucher from the sponsoring agency. 
  • Student are responsible for any amount not paid by the third-party.
  • If a sponsorship is not received by the payment due date, the student is subject to deregistration of their classes due to non-payment. 
  • Books and/or supplies cannot be included on Johnston Community College’s sponsorship form. To obtain sponsorship information for books and supplies, please contact Barnes and Noble at (919) 209-2104.

Can I get a refund if I drop a class?

Curriculum Class Refunds
In order to receive a FULL refund, the class must be dropped prior to first day of classes. Following the start of the semester, a 75% refund of tuition only is offered if the class is dropped by the census date. The census date is the 10% point of the class. This information should be listed in each course syllabus.

Please be aware, the last day to drop without a grade penalty is not the same thing as the last day to drop to receive a refund. Refunds are never credited back to the card or account used to make the payment. (See BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. section below.) Fees are NOT refundable if class is dropped AFTER the start date. Please check the census dates for fast track classes, these will have a shorter drop period. If you have financial aid or you set up a payment plan, we suggest checking with the Business Office and/or Financial Aid before dropping any courses. Payment plan payments are still owed if you begin attending the courses. Please contact Registration to complete the drop process. 

JCC recommends that ALL students make sure their mailing address is correct in the system, this is the address in which these checks will be mailed.

Continuing Education Refund Policy
A student who officially withdraws (in writing) from a Continuing Education course prior to the first class meeting is eligible for a 100% refund upon request. 

  • A student MAY be eligible to receive a 75% refund of the registration fee if the student officially withdraws (in writing) from the course after the class begins but prior to the 10% census date. 
  • A student would not be entitled to receive a refund if he/she withdraws after the 10% census date of the course. 
  • Courses offered as self-supporting, denoted by (SS) beside the course title, (motorcycle, BSAC, etc.) are not eligible for a refund as these programs are solely funded by registration fees collected. 
  • Students are eligible for a 100% refund if the class is cancelled by the College.
  • Continuing Education refunds are processed twice a month. Once Registration receives the proper paperwork to drop the class, it is forwarded to the Business Office. A check will be mailed out at the next date CE refunds are processed. Students should be aware it can be up to 30 days before they may receive a refund check.  

CCP Student, Early College, Etc. 
Career and College Promise (CCP), or dual-enrolled high school students may be required to pay different types of fees. The fee calculations are based on specific student types. Homeschool, Public School and Private/Charter School students may be required to pay different fees.  

Please contact the Business Office at (919)209-2545 to request more information regarding your JCC account.  

How do I sign up for BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. to receive my refunds?  (Curriculum students only)
Johnston Community College delivers your refund with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc.

Can a parent or another party call to discuss any of my financial information? 
We urge students to call JCC directly. However, if for any reason a student would like a parent or another party to have the opportunity to discuss their educational and/or financial information, students are required to fill out a FERPA form each year designating who may be privy to their educational records. 

What will happen if I have a past due balance? 
All past due balances will result in a Business Office hold (restriction) being placed on a student’s account. When there are holds on an account, a student is not allowed to register for classes, request transcripts or receive any grades until the balance is paid in full. Please contact the Business Office when paying a past due balance. 

How can I order a Transcript?  
Students can visit to request and pay for transcripts. First time visitors to Parchment will simply create a login and password, then make their request. Transcripts may be sent to the student or to another educational institution. All transcripts are $6 each. Please note if a student has a Business Office hold on their account, due to a past due balance, requests will not be filled until hold is removed. 

What other fees can be paid for at the Cashier Window? 
If you are registered to take the TEAS/CLEP/DANTES test you will need to bring your printed ticket and make payment at the Cashier Window. TEAS $65, CLEP & DANTES $15

Work-Keys testing fees can also be paid through the Cashier Window. Please verify which test you are planning to take. Pricing is as follows: Reading $12/Locating $12/Math $12.

Fishing Permits can be requested and paid for at the Cashier Window. These are $2 per person, per day or $50 per year. They can be paid for in advance, the dates will be noted on the receipt.  

Childcare Development Center Tuition can also be paid for at the Cashier Window. You may use credit/debit cards as well as all other forms of payment. Please be prepared with the amount you are required to pay and dates the payment will cover. The Business Office does not regulate these charges, we only report them to the CDC.  

CPR Cards/Face Masks/AHA Renewal payments are also processed at the Cashier Window. Please be prepared with the item you are paying for and if there is an item number, this will need to be presented to the cashier at time of payment.  

OSHA Card payments are also processed via the Cashier. Students will need to provide their student ID or social security number when making payment in order for the cashier to apply the payment properly. 

Does FERPA give me a right to see the education records of my son or daughter who is in college?
When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights afforded to you as a parent under FERPA transfer to the student ("eligible student"). However, FERPA provides ways in which a school may—but is not required to-share information from an eligible student's education records with parents, without the student's consent. For example:

  • Schools may disclose education records to parents if the student is claimed as a dependent for tax purposes.
  • Schools may disclose education records to parents if a health or safety emergency involves their son or daughter.
  • Schools may inform parents if the student, if he or she is under age 21, has violated any law or policy concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance.
  • A school official may generally share with a parent information that is based on that official's personal knowledge or observation of the student.