Club Travel Policy and Procedure
Club Travel Policy for Registered Student Organizations
This policy applies to the travel of enrolled students to attend activities or events
that are organized and/or sponsored by the college.
An organized event is one that is initiated, planned and arranged by a member of the college's faculty, staff or sponsored student organization and is approved by an appropriate administrator.
A sponsored event or activity is one that the college endorses by supporting it financially or by sending students to participate in it as official representatives of the college.
A. Policy Statement
It is the policy of Johnston Community College Student Activities to promote safe travel by members of its registered student club/organizations to certain events and activities.
This policy applies to the travel of student members of a registered student organization when:
- the organization requires or request its student members to attend an activity or event; and
- the activity or event occurs off campus.
C. Trip Approval Requirements
- Registered student organizations that require or request student member's travel to and from events or activities that are covered by this policy must obtain prior authorization for such travel from the Coordinator of Student Engagement.
2. To obtain authorization, the registered student organization must submit a completed Request for Approval of Student Activity Form to the Coordinator of Student Engagement. The request should be submitted at least one week (five (5) working days) prior to the proposed trip.
3.The following documents and information must be submitted at least one week (five (5) working days) before departure :
A. A list with full names, local addresses, phone numbers and the name and number
of an emergency contact for each student participant.
B. A list with full names, phone numbers and the name and number of an emergency contact for each Johnston Community College faculty and/or staff participant.
C. There must be a Johnston Community College faculty or staff participant.
D. Trip itinerary which also includes:
a. Hotel information
c. Phone number
d. Date(s) of stay
D. Alcohol and Illegal Substances
- Participants shall not possess, consume, or transport any alcoholic beverages or illegal substances.
E. Travel by Motor Vehicle
1. Compliance with State Law
Motor vehicles used for travel covered by this policy shall have a current proof of liability insurance card and a state inspection certification.
2. Vehicle Operator Requirements
a. Operators of motor vehicles shall comply with all laws, regulations and posted signs or directions regarding speed and traffic control.
b. Operators shall drive no more than four hours without a minimum rest stop of thirty minutes;
c. Operators shall drive no more than ten hours in any 24 hour period;
d. A navigator shall be assigned for all trips that are scheduled to take more than two hours; and the navigator shall remain awake while on duty.
e. Trips requiring more than ten hours of driving time shall include overnight lodging.
3. Safety Requirements for Both Operators and Passengers
a. Seat Belts. Occupants of motor vehicles shall use seat belts or other approved safety restraint devices required by law or regulation at all times when the vehicle is in operation.
b. Alcohol and Illegal Substances. Occupants of motor vehicles shall not possess, consume, or transport any alcoholic beverages or illegal substances.
c. Passenger Capacity. The total number of passengers in any vehicle at any time it is in operation shall not exceed the manufacturer's recommended capacity, or the number specified by college policy, or federal or state law or regulations, whichever is lowest.