Johnston Community College

  Search WebAdvisor for Classes  Blackboard  Jaguar Alerts  Appointment Plus  Ed2Go Online Courses  Student Google e-Mail  Outlook Faculty/Staff e-Mail   Find Us On Facebook!   Schedules and Registration - WebAdvisor JCC's QEP - Quality Enhancement Plan
JCC will be closed Sept. 1 for Labor Day.
Scenes from JCC
 Browse by Program:
Site Content
corner of main content section
Skip Navigation LinksFrequently Asked Questions :: Radiography :: Health Sciences Programs :: Curriculum Programs :: Home

Frequently Asked Questions: Radiography

Where is Johnston Community College located?

JCC’s main campus is conveniently located near the intersection of I-95 and Highway 70 East in Smithfield, North Carolina. Directions can be viewed at

How do I begin the admission process?

Step 1. Apply (submit the application to the college; this can be completed on-line at

Step 2. Request official transcripts from your high school and each college attended.

Submit transcripts to:
Admissions Office
P O Box 2350
Smithfield, NC 27577

IMPORTANT: Official transcripts are received in a sealed envelope from your high school or college(s). Do not open the envelope!

Do I have to be a high school graduate to enter the program?

Yes, all applicants must have graduated before entering the program

What if I took the GED or graduated from an Adult High School, do I still need my high school transcript?

Yes, this can help determine if you have met the admission requirements.

Do you accept the GED diploma?


I took a class at a University in 1994 and the course doesn’t pertain to the Radiography Program. Do I need to obtain an official transcript?

Yes, we need official transcripts from your high school and all Colleges attended. NO EXCEPTIONS!

I took the GED at JCC or another Community College. Where do I obtain a copy of my GED Scores?

If you took the GED in North Carolina the scores can be obtained from the State Department of Community Colleges in Raleigh.  The address is: NCCCS-5002 Mail Service Center-Raleigh, NC  27699. Phone Number: (919) 807-7136

I took the GED in another state. How do I obtain the GED scores?

Contact the State Board of Education in that state and they should be able to assist you. If you have a copy of your scores, the information where additional scores can be obtained is indicated on the score sheet.

How long does it take to complete the application, transcripts, interviewing/and or testing process?

Approximately four to six weeks. Please to apply and plan accordingly. Transcript arrival can sometimes take longer.

What are the admission requirements for the Associate Degree Radiography program?

  • Graduation from high school or the equivalent before entering the program.
  • Applicants must have completed at least two science courses: Biology or Advanced Biology, Chemistry or Physics with a grade of “C” or higher.
  • Meet the JCC minimum requirements for ENG 111 and MAT 140

How can I meet the requirements for ENG 111 and MAT 140?

Please refer to the College website for additional information.

Why must I take the college placement test?

The placement test helps evaluate a student’s readiness to successfully complete college level courses.

Can I prepare to take the placement test?

Yes, please visit our web-site for a study guide.

How can I take the College placement test?

All transcripts (high school and College) must be on file before the placement test is scheduled by the Admissions Office.

I have taken the placement test at another College can those scores be used?

Yes, you must request the test scores be forwarded to JCC and must contain information on course placement.

How can I complete the interview with an admissions counselor?

All transcripts (high school and college) must be on file. Your transcripts are reviewed by the Admissions Office to determine if testing is required or waived. If testing is waived, the Admissions Office will schedule an appointment.  At the interview if you have indicated you are interested in a Health Care program you will not need to complete this process again unless you have additional questions.

Are there courses I can take while I am waiting to be admitted to the program?

Yes, if you do not meet the requirements, courses are available to meet the science or math requirements.  Please visit our web-site to view the Radiography curriculum at Any course without a RAD prefix can be taken prior to gaining admission into the program.

Do I need to complete all the related courses before I can be admitted to the program?

No, although many students do complete all general education courses prior to beginning the radiography coursework because it lightens their course load.

I have taken a Math course at an out-of-state college and I wasn’t given transfer credit and
I feel like it is the same as your course. What can I do?

Obtain a course description from the College and contact the Registrar’s Office.

What semester is Anatomy & Physiology offered?

Johnston Community College offers BIO 165 in the Fall semester of each year and BIO 166 in the Spring semester of each year. Fast track courses in Bio 165 & BIO 166 are also available. We suggest completing the sequence at the same college.

What if I have taken the first Anatomy and Physiology and need the second?

BIO 165-at Johnston you study the following body systems: A & P Terminology, Review of organic molecules, cells, tissues, Integumentary System, Skeletal System, Muscular System, Nervous System
BI0 166-at Johnston you study the following body systems: Endocrine System, Cardiovascular System, Lymphatic/Immune System, Digestive System, Respiratory System, Urinary System, Reproductive System (male & female).

What if I only had biology and not another science course can I use Anatomy & Physiology to meet the science requirements?

BIO 165 or BIO 168 and BIO 166 or BIO 169 cannot be used to meet the science admission requirements.

I have taken Anatomy & Physiology at another college over twenty years (20) years ago
will I need to retake the course?

Currently, we do not have a time limit on Anatomy & Physiology for the Radiography program.

I attended a community college that doesn’t offer ENG 112. Can I take ENG 113?

Yes, ENG 113 can be used in lieu of ENG 112.

Can I take a foreign language as my Humanities/Fine Arts Elective?

No, foreign languages are not usually used to meet the Humanities/Fine Arts Electives for the Associate in Applied Science Degree. Contact the Registrar's office for additional information.

Can I complete the Associate Degree Radiography program part-time?

The related course work can be completed part-time, but once you are admitted to the program it is a full-time commitment.

How can I view the Associate Degree Radiography curricula outline?

It can be viewed at

What day and approximate time are the day classes? 

Radiography classes/clinical are daytime and usually over by 3:00 pm depending on the semester. Students taking general education requirements may be longer. Students are required to perform night and weekend clinical rotations in which they are notified of the dates and times at the beginning of the semester.

Where do students complete their clinical training?

Clinical experiences are held at Johnston Health-Smithfield, Johnston Health-Clayton, Wayne Memorial Hospital, Sampson Regional Medical Center, Sampson Regional ODC, Harnett Health Betsy Johnson, and Eastern Carolina Medical Center.

Can I take classes on any JCC campus?

Some related courses are offered at the Work Force Development Center in Clayton however, most courses are available only on the main campus in Smithfield.

Do you offer the Radiography program in the evening?

No, only available during the day.

What if I meet the requirements and have completed all of the related course(s) can I be accepted into the program?

You can be considered for admission to the Radiography program. It is a competitive program and has more applicants than seats available.

Do you have a waiting list?

No, applicants must apply each year to be considered.

How are applicants selected for the Radiography Program?

Currently, the College uses a point ranking system using your college course work and the Health Occupations Test (TEAS). 

How many students do you accept and do you admit each semester?

Approximately thirty-two (32) are admitted Fall Semester of each year.

How many semesters is the Radiography program?

Five (5)-Fall, Spring, Summer, Fall, Spring

Can I work while in the Radiography program?

We cannot tell students not to work however, we suggest not letting your work interfere with your college courses.

Is your radiography program accredited?

Yes, Johnston Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The Radiography program is accredited by the Joint Review Committee on the Education of Radiologic Technologists.

May I obtain points for CNA Certification and Job Shadowing?

You may obtain points for either CNA or Job shadowing, but cannot receive double points for having both.

How can I obtain the CNA certification?

Contact the Division of Continuing Education at Johnston Community College or a Community College in your area. The classes are offered on a different schedule than the regular college calendar. To obtain additional points on the point ranking, applicants must have successfully completed a North Carolina approved Certified Nurse Aide I Program and be currently listed on the Nurse Aide I Registry with no substantiated finding of resident abuse, resident neglect or misappropriation of resident property in a Nursing Facility. The Certified Nurse Aide I Training Program must include theory, lab and clinical components.

How long is the CNA class?

The CNA class is one-hundred sixty (160) hours with theory, lab and clinical.

How much does the CNA class cost?

The approximate cost is four hundred fifty dollars ($450.00).

I live close to another Community College can I take the CNA class at that College?

Yes,  CNA must be completed at a State-Approved Training Program. A list of approved schools can be viewed at

I am currently EMT certified must I also complete the CNA class?

EMT certification does not suffice for CNA requirements for point ranking. Students must either be CNA certified or complete job shadowing in Radiography for additional points.

I am CPR certified by the American Heart Association and my card does not read “Healthcare Provider”. Do I need to retake the CPR class?


Where can I obtain “Healthcare Provider” CPR certification?

Contact the Division of Continuing Education at any Community College or if you are presently working in a health care facility they may offer the course at the facility.

How long is the CPR certification valid?

Two years (2) however, you cannot let the CPR certification lapse while in the program.

How will the College know if I am CPR certified?

You will receive a card upon completion of the CPR class.

How can I prepare for the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

Study guides are available in the book store, you can “google” internet study sites and we have a prep program in our academic skills center. You can visit for additional information.

How can I schedule to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

You must submit the Radiography program specific application and have met all admission requirements.

What is the cost of the Health Occupations Test?

The cost is thirty-five ($35.00) - forty ($40.00) dollars and subject to change without notice.

How many times a year can I take the Radiography Admission test (TEAS)?

Once per academic year.

Will I receive my scores the day of testing?

Yes, they will be available on the ATI website.

Can I take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) admission test at another college and transfer the scores to JCC?

Effective Fall 2014, JCC will accept TEAS scores directly from ATI.

I have a master’s degree will I have to take the Health Occupations Radiography Test (TEAS)?

Yes, all applicants applying to the Associate Degree Radiography Program must take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS).

Do I need a picture ID to take the TEAS test?

Yes, you must present a picture ID on your scheduled date of testing.

How many hours does it take to complete the TEAS test?

Please allow three and one-half hours (3 ½).

Will I be taking the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) test on a computer?


Do I need to bring anything with me to take the TEAS test?

No, you will need to bring only a picture ID. The college furnishes paper and pencils.

I am scheduled for the Health Occupations Test admission test (TEAS) and the college is closed due to inclement weather, what should I do?

Please contact the Admissions Office on the next business day to reschedule your testing date.

Do I have to submit to a criminal background check and a drug screening?

Yes, all accepted applicants are required by our clinical sites to submit to criminal background and drug screening, and random drug screens.

Can the information from a criminal background jeopardize my ability to complete the Radiography program?

Yes, the student’s ability to participate in clinical experiences would result in the inability of the student to complete the program.

Do I have to complete the criminal background and drug screening before acceptance?


Does the College review the criminal background checks?

No, the clinical sites have access.

I have lived out-of state and moved recently to North Carolina. Can information on a criminal background check be completed for another state?


How do I apply to the Associate Degree Radiography program? 

Applicants applying for Fall, or for advance placement:
  • You will need to attend an Information Session online or at the College (please visit our website for dates and times.) 
  • Applications are required to be submitted in packet form.  The packet should contain: Program specific application for admission to the Associate Degree Radiography program, a copy of your counselor interview summary, a copy of your CNA certification of completion or job shadowing form for extra points on point ranking. And, if you completed the on-line information session, a copy of your verification e-mail. 
  • Official transcripts from high school and all colleges attended must be on file in the Admissions Office at JCC.



For more information, contact:
Admissions Office
(919) 209-2128
Johnston Community College | 245 College Road | PO Box 2350 Smithfield, NC 27577
(919) 934-3051 - - Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.