Prior to registration for class, a student must meet and complete the following:
- Be able to read, write, and speak English at a level that permits the student to benefit from the course. Must be a US citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a valid driver's license and Social Security card.
- Pass and obtain a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical examination not more than 6 months prior to start of class. This physical examination may be obtained from any outpatient clinic, urgent care center, or doctor's office.
- Obtain a valid North Carolina Class A CDL Learner's Permit. A written test may be taken at your local DMV office consisting of general knowledge, air brakes, and combination vehicle tests. You should study sections 1 - 3, and 5 - 6 of the North Carolina Commercial Driver License Handbook. For CDL Test Prep courses, check out our Community Development & Lifelong Learning offerings.
- Obtain a NC-DMV driving record not more than 3 months prior to the start of class.
We need an (Uncertified Complete History) obtainable from DMV in Raleigh or ONLINE
@ http://ncdot.gov/dmv/online/records Any of the following violations within 4 years of the start of class will prohibit
a person from entering the program:
- driving while impaired (DWI)
- careless and reckless driving
- hit and run
- refusal to take a chemical test
- Complete and submit a TDT application form which must be in the office before the orientation date.
- Pass a DOT drug-screening test at a lab designated by the School. Please bring $40 in cashon the day of orientation; the lab does not accept personal checks. Students will also be subject to random drug-screening testing for the duration of class.