In order to be admitted to the N. C. Truck Driver Training School, you MUST complete all ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS (Items #1 through 7) before the orientation date.
To enroll in class, please bring all the ENROLLMENT REQUIREMENTS; (Items #1 through 6**) with you to orientation. Drug test (Item #8) will be conducted on the day of orientation.
After all requirements are met you will return at a designated time to register and pay tuition and fees. Must be able to read, write and speak ENGLISH.
- Be able to read, write, and speak English at a level that permits the student to benefit from the course. Must be a US citizen or permanent resident alien.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Have a valid driver's license and Social Security card.
- Pass and obtain a DOT (Department of Transportation) physical examination not more than 6 months prior to start of class. This physical examination may be obtained from any outpatient clinic, urgent care center, or doctor's office.
- Obtain a valid North Carolina Class A CDL Learner's Permit. A written test may be taken at your local DMV office consisting of general knowledge, air brakes, and combination vehicle tests. You should study sections 1 - 3, and 5 - 6 of the North Carolina Commercial Driver License Handbook. For CDL Test Prep courses, check out our Community Development & Lifelong Learning offerings.
- Obtain a NC-DMV driving record not more than 3 months prior to the start of class.
We need an (Uncertified Complete History) obtainable from DMV in Raleigh or ONLINE
at http://ncdot.gov/dmv/online/records. Any of the following violations within 4 years of the start of class will prohibit
a person from entering the program:
- driving while impaired (DWI)
- careless and reckless driving
- hit and run
- refusal to take a chemical test
- Complete and submit a TDT application form which must be in the office before the orientation date.
- Pass a DOT drug-screening test at a lab designated by the School. Please bring $40 in cash on the day of orientation; the lab does not accept personal checks. Students will also be subject to random drug-screening testing for the duration of class.
How to Apply
Fill out the JCC online Application.
Please print out the application and mail it to:
N.C. Truck Driver Training School
245 College Road, POB 2350
Smithfield, NC 27577