The Johnston Community College Fire/Rescue Academy is an intensive program that prepares cadets for careers in the fire service. The academy is split between two distinctive blocks. The first provides certifications in firefighter, hazardous materials, and rapid intervention. The second block focuses on technical rescuer and vehicle rescue. Upon completion of the Fire/Rescue Academy, cadets will receive the following IFSAC certifications through the North Carolina Fire and Rescue Commission: Firefighter, Hazardous Materials Level I Responder, Traffic Incident Management, Rapid Intervention Crew, Technical Rescuer: General, and Technical Rescuer: Vehicle Rescue. Cadets will also complete the National Incident Management System 100/200 training modules through FEMA.
Cadets will participate in classroom instruction, hands on training, and physical conditioning in a structured environment. Our purpose is to instill integrity, discipline, character, and credibility while learning the fundamentals of being a firefighter. Full participation is required for successful completion.
Cadets must have a High School diploma or GED to attend the academy. Cadets must be affiliated with a Fire Department or Emergency Services agency with firefighting duties, or provide their own personal protective equipment that meets NFPA standards. The fee for this course is $180.00 for students not affiliated with a Fire Department. Students may be eligible for internship with a local Fire Department provided they meet the department’s selection criteria. If help is needed in locating a local Fire Department, please call Academy Director Joseph Behrend or Academy Deputy Director Jared Rouse.
- Applications must be received by Monday, May 28th at 17:00
- Uniforms must be ordered and paid for by Monday, May 28th at 17:00
- Book required: Jones & Bartlett Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills, 3rd edition (ISBN-13: 9781284072020)
- Academy firefighter block dates: Monday, June 11th – Friday, September 7th 0800 – 17:00, Monday-Friday
- Academy technical rescuer block dates: Monday, September 10th – Friday, October 12th 0800 – 17:00, Monday-Friday
- Location: Public Services Building (Room J-1230) 245 College rd. Smithfield, NC
For applications and more information, contact: