Frequently Asked Questions

I need to take Early Childhood Education classes for a position in the field. What courses might I need to take?
Different positions in education require different courses and numbers of course hours for employment. Please check with the employer to confirm their requirements, and view our minimum course requirement guide (PDF) to working in early childhood education and related fields.

Do any of the JCC college EDU courses contain workforce requirements like playground safety training, CPR/FA, ITS-SIDS training, etc.?
JCC has embedded several workforce training requirements within our course requirements. Many students want to take additional classes to further their knowledge and also meet required workforce training needs in NC (DOCX).

I am with a local child development center and would consider having JCC early childhood students use our program for field practice such as practicums/internships, field experiences, observations, etc. How do I partner with JCC?
JCC's Early Childhood Education strives to provide students with many opportunities for field observation and practice prior to graduation. Many courses contain assignments that require observation or practice in a classroom with children. We partner with our on-site lab child development center as well as other local children's programming sites for these experiences.
Please contact us for more information.

If I am a returning student and I already took EDU 111 and EDU 112 and have my NC Early Childhood Credential, do I have to take EDU 119 Introduction to Early Childhood Education?
Yes. Although students who have obtained their NC Early Childhood Credential through the Division of Child Development and Early Education (DCDEE) years ago by taking EDU 111-ECE Credential I and EDU 112-ECE Credential II do not have to resubmit paperwork to the DCDEE, the EDU 111 and EDU 112 courses are no longer part of the NC Community College System Early Childhood programs (courses were archived). EDU 119 is required for all Early Childhood Education AAS majors and is not the same course as EDU 111 and EDU 112.

Is it possible to take Early Childhood Education courses while in high school?
Yes, many local high schools have early childhood education courses (ECE I and II) that can be taken as part of the high school curriculum and can result in college credit for EDU 119 if particular requirements are met. In addition, as of Fall 2013 Johnston Community College in collaboration with Johnston County Schools, has established a Career and College Promise (CCP) pathway for students to begin working on either our Early Childhood Education Certificate and/or our Infant/Toddler Care Certificate career and technical education pathway while in high school! The courses and books are free and students earn both high school and college credit.

More information on the career and college promise opportunities at JCC can be found at: Career and College Promise and Career and Technical Education (CTE) Pathways.


Tonia Padrick
Director of Education Programs
(919) 209-2500

Admissions Office
(919) 209-2128