Opportunities for AE Students
Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship 2018 Program
The Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) Program provides college students with an opportunity to gain and develop research skills with the Department of Energy’s Office of Fossil Energy for 10 weeks over the summer. For 20 years, this program has increased awareness of DOE research opportunities to students pursuing STEM degrees (short for science, technology, engineering and math). The goal of the program is to improve opportunities for women and minority students in these fields, however all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
Selected candidates will train under the mentorship of program officials and scientists on focused research projects consistent with the mission of the Office of Fossil Energy. The 10-week summer program may place students at one of several possible FE sites including:
- Department of Energy Headquarters, Washington, D.C. and Germantown, MD
- National Energy Technology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA; Morgantown, WV; Albany, OR
- Strategic Petroleum Reserve, New Orleans, LA; and other SPR sites in LA and TX
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
- Sandia National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
- Lawrence Livermore National Lab, Livermore, CA
- Los Alamos National Lab, Los Alamos, NM
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of application
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Be currently enrolled full-time as a degree-seeking student in a STEM program at an accredited college or university at the Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctoral level (Students pursuing an Associate’s degree are eligible to apply if transferring to pursue a Bachelor’s degree for fall 2018). Must be at least a college sophomore at the time of application.
- Be available to participate in the full 10-week program
Application deadline: January 3, 2018, 11:59PM EST
How to Apply: Applications and supporting materials must be submitted at Zintellect.com
Program Information: Detailed information about the internship can be found on the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship Program page at ORISE.ORAU.gov.
For questions please email us at MLEF@hq.doe.gov