Apply for Financial Aid
Step 1: Complete Your FAFSA
The first step in applying for financial aid at Johnston Community College is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). JCC's school code is 009336.
There are three ways to apply for a Pell Grant:
- Go to www.fafsa.gov to complete the FAFSA. JCC's school code is 009336.
- Call 1 800 4 FED AID to request a paper copy of the FAFSA to complete and mail in.
- A PDF version of the FAFSA is available for download at www.fafsa.ed.gov/options.htm
*We urge our students to apply online because it shortens the processing time as well
as gives access to other important financial aid functions.
Watch this brief instructional video to help with complete your FAFSA:
For more detailed FAFSA instructions, view the entire video library.
|If you plan to enroll:||Complete FAFSA by:||Submit paperwork by:|
|Fall||May 1||June 1|
|Spring||October 1||November 1|
|Summer||March 1||April 1|
*Be sure you included JCC school code on the FAFASA: 009336
Please note: You can submit an application beyond the priority deadline. Your application will be processed after all on-time applicants are completed. If you do not submit financial aid paperwork by the deadline for the term you plan to enroll, you are responsible for payment of your tuition, fees, and book charges by the published payment deadline date. Although we will continue to process applications received after the deadline, you may have to pay for tuition, fees, books, and supplies out of pocket. If it is then determined that you qualify for financial aid, you will be reimbursed during the semester. If you are NOT awarded financial aid, you are responsible for all charges. Payment can be made by cash, check, debit card, VISA, Discover, or MasterCard or enroll in a payment plan by published dates.
Obtain Your Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
If the FAFSA is to be filed online, students and parents must apply for a FSA ID. The FSA ID is used to electronically sign the application. The online FAFSA will not be processed until both students and parents sign it with their FSA ID. Please keep your FSA ID in a safe place because you may need it to make corrections on your FAFSA and to reapply for aid in the future.
The following information will help your application process. Before getting started, make sure you have the following items.
Records You Will Need:
- Prior-prior year completed federal tax form*
- All prior-prior year W-2 forms*
- Driver's license (student only)
- Social Security card (student only)
- Parent's Social Security Number (dependent students only)
- Parent's date of birth (dependent students only)
- *If you are under the age of 24, no children, and not married, you need your parents previous year federal tax returns and W-2's to be able to complete the application. No exceptions.
Records You May Need:
- Record of amount of disability received in prior-prior year
- Record of amount of Taxable Social Security benefits received in prior-prior year
- Record of amount of child support paid or received in prior-prior year
- Pensions, annuities, retirement income
- Record of untaxed income (retiree account statement)
- Current mortgage information (if owning rental property, a business, or a farm)
Step 2: Review Student Aid Report (SAR)
After processing your FAFSA, the Department of Education will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR). SAR summarizes the information you submitted on FAFSA. In addition, SAR contains comments alerting you of any incomplete information required for processing your FAFSA. It is very important to review SAR carefully — incomplete information will prevent JCC from awarding your financial aid package.
If all the information on your SAR is correct, you do not need to return it. If your
FAFSA information is complete, you will find an Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
printed in the upper right hand corner of your SAR. JCC will use the EFC to award
your financial aid.
If your FAFSA information is incomplete, you may mail the corrections to the address mentioned on your SAR or log onto the FAFSA Web site (you will need a PIN) to make the corrections online.
The fastest way to receive SAR results is to fill out a FAFSA on the Web, provide a valid and current e-mail address and sign the application electronically using a U.S. Department of Education PIN (note: if you are a dependent student, your parent must also apply for a PIN and sign your FAFSA on the Web).
Step 3: Complete Verification (if required)
After your FAFSA information is completed and processed, the federal government may randomly select your FAFSA for a verification process. If selected, JCC's Financial Aid Office will request additional student and/or parent information. You will be notified of the request for information via email. You will find more information by logging in to WebAdvisor and clicking on "Students" and under the Financial Aid section click on "Financial Aid Self Service".
Some of the documents requested may be:
- Verification worksheets (dependent or independent)
- Federal Tax Return Transcripts for student/parent or use the IRS data retrieval tool (instructions here: http://www.irsdataretrievaltool.com/irs-data-retrieval-tool-step-by-step-instructions) or watch this instructional video
- Copies of student and/or parent W-2 forms
- Additional documentation depending on an individual situation
It is important to provide the requested documents in a timely manner. Once all of the requested information is returned to our office, the financial aid staff will review the documents and follow up if any additional information is needed. Please be patient, as it takes time to process the data. After the verification process is complete, the student will be awarded financial aid. Your award will be posted to Financial Aid Self Service and can be accessed through WebAdvisor.