Johnston Community College

  Search WebAdvisor for Classes  Blackboard  Jaguar Alerts  Appointment Plus  Ed2Go Online Courses  Student Google e-Mail  Outlook Faculty/Staff e-Mail   Find Us On Facebook!   Schedules and Registration - WebAdvisor JCC's QEP - Quality Enhancement Plan
JCC will be closed Sept. 1 for Labor Day.
Scenes from JCC
 Browse by Program:
Site Content
corner of main content section

Frequently Asked Questions: Nuclear Medicine Technology

Where is Johnston Community College located?
Johnston Community College’s main campus is conveniently located near the intersection of I-95 and Highway 70 East in Smithfield, North Carolina. Directions

How do I begin the admission process to apply to the College?
Step 1. Apply (submit application) to the college; this can be completed on-line at
Step 2. Request official transcripts from your high school and each college attended. Submit transcripts to the Admissions Office-P O Box 2350-Smithfield, NC 27577. Official transcripts are received in a sealed envelope from your high school or college(s) Do not open the envelope!

Do I have to be a high school graduate to enter the program?
Yes, all applicants must have graduated before entering the program.

Do you accept GED/Adult High School graduates?
Yes, we accept the GED diploma. The high school must be accredited by a recognized regional accreditation association.

What if I did not graduate from high school but took the GED do you still need my high school transcript?
Yes, this can assist in determining if you have met the admission requirements.

I took a class at a University in 1994 and the course doesn’t pertain to the Nuclear Medicine Technology Program. Do I need to obtain an official transcript?
Yes, we need official transcripts from your high school and all Colleges attended. No exceptions!

I took the GED at JCC or another Community College. Where do I obtain a copy of my GED scores?
If you took the GED at any Community College in North Carolina the scores can be obtained from the State Department of Community Colleges in Raleigh. The address is:
NCCCS-5002 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699.
Phone number: (919) 807-7136.

If you did not take the GED in NC contact the State Department of Education in the state you took the GED, or your scores may have information on obtaining additional copies.

How long does it take to complete the application, transcripts, interviewing/and or testing process?
Approximately four to six weeks so you need to apply and plan accordingly. Transcript arrival can sometimes take longer.

What are the admission requirements for the Associate Degree Nuclear Medicine Technology program?
  • Graduated from high school or the equivalent before entering the program.
  • Applicants must have completed two science courses: biology or advanced biology or chemistry and a college-level physics with a grade of “C” or higher.
  • Meet the JCC minimum requirements for ENG 111 and MAT 161 and acquire CNA certification by June 1st of the admitting year.

Why must I take the college placement test?
The placement test helps evaluate a student’s readiness to successfully complete college level courses.

Can I prepare to take the placement test?
Yes, please visit our web-site for a study guide.

How can I take the College placement test?
All transcripts (high school and College) must be on file before the placement test is scheduled by the Admissions Office.

I have taken the placement test at another College can those scores be used?
Yes, you must request the test scores be forwarded to JCC and must contain information on course placement.

How can I complete the interview with an admissions counselor?
All transcripts (high school and college) must be on file and placement test scores if required.

Are there courses I can take while I am waiting to be admitted to the program?
Yes, if you do not meet the requirements, courses are available to meet the science or math requirements. Please visit our web-site to view the Nuclear Medicine Technology curriculum at Any course without a NMT prefix can be taken prior to gaining admission into the program.

Do I need to complete all related courses before I can be admitted to the program?
No, although many students do complete all the general education courses prior to beginning the Nuclear Medicine Technology program. Completing the general education courses will lighten your course load.

I have taken a Math course at an out-of-state college and I wasn’t given transfer credit and I feel like it is the same as your course. What can I do?
Obtain a course description from the College and contact the Registrar’s Office.

What semester is Anatomy & Physiology offered?
Johnston Community College offers BIO 165 in the Fall semester of each year and BIO 166 in the Spring semester of each year. However, fast track (8 weeks each) may be available. We accept BIO 168 and BIO 169 from other colleges. It is suggested completing the Anatomy & Physiology sequence at the same college.

What if I have taken the first Anatomy and Physiology and need the second?
BIO 165-at Johnston you study the following body systems: A & P Terminology, Review of organic molecules, cells, tissues, Integumentary System, Skeletal System, Muscular System, Nervous System

BI0 166-at Johnston you study the following body systems: Endocrine System, Cardiovascular System, Lymphatic/Immune System, Digestive System, Respiratory System, Urinary System, Reproductive System (male & female).

What if I only had biology and not another science course can I use Anatomy & Physiology to meet the science requirements?
BIO 165 or BIO 168 and BIO 166 or BIO 169 cannot be used to meet the science admission requirements.

I have taken Anatomy & Physiology at another college over twenty years (20) years ago will I need to retake the course?
Currently, we do not have a time limit on Anatomy & Physiology for the Nuclear Medicine program.

I attended a community college that doesn’t offer ENG 112. Can I take ENG 113?
Yes, ENG 113 can be used in lieu of ENG 112.

Can I take a foreign language as my Humanities/Fine Arts Elective?
Yes, however, foreign languages are not usually used to meet the Humanities/Fine Arts Electives for the Associate in Applied Science Degree. Contact the Registrar’s Office for additional information.

Can I complete the Associate Degree Nuclear Medicine Technology program part-time?
The related course work can be completed part-time, but once you are admitted to the program it is a full-time commitment.

What day and approximate time are the day classes?
Nuclear Medicine classes/clinical are daytime and usually over by 3:00 p.m. depending on the semester. Students taking general education courses may be longer. Students are required to perform night and weekend clinical rotations in which they are notified of the dates and times at the beginning of the semester.

Where do students complete their clinical training?
Clinical experiences are held at Johnston Health-Smithfield, Johnston Health-Clayton, Wayne Memorial Hospital, Sampson Regional Medical Center, Sampson Regional ODC, Betsy Johnston Regional Hospital, and Eastern Carolina Medical Center.

Can I take classes on any JCC campus?
Some related courses are offered at the Work Force Development Center in Clayton however, most courses are available only on the main campus in Smithfield.

Do you offer the Nuclear Medicine Technology program in the evening?
No, only available during the day.

What if I met the requirements and completed all the related course(s), can I be admitted to the program?
You can be considered for admission to the Nuclear Medicine Technology program. Ten applicants are admitted each Fall semester. Nuclear Medicine is a competitive program and usually has more applicants than seats available.

Do you have a waiting list?
No, applicants must apply each year to be considered.

How are applicants selected for the Nuclear Medicine Technology Program?
Currently, the College uses a point ranking system, your college course work and the Health Occupations Test (TEAS).

Can I work while in the Nuclear Medicine Technology program?
We cannot tell students not to work; however, we suggest not letting your work interfere with your college courses.

Is your Nuclear Medicine Technology program accredited?
Johnston Community College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and our program is currently undergoing initial accreditation through the JRCNMT.

How can I obtain the CNA certification?
You would need to contact the Division of Continuing Education at Johnston Community College or a Community College in your area or The classes are offered on a different schedule than the regular college calendar. Applicants must have successfully completed a North Carolina approved Certified Nurse Aide I Program and currently listed on the Nurse Aide I Registry with no substantiated finding of resident abuse, resident neglect or misappropriation of resident property in a Health Care Facility. The Certified Nurse Aide I Training Program must include theory, lab and clinical components.

Note: CNA is not required for applicants who hold a diploma or degree in Nursing or an Allied Health profession, Military Corpsman or Emergency Medical Technician Basic or Intermediate certification and currently certified with direct human patient care in a health care environment within the last 5 years do not have to complete the CNA I requirement or in the final semester of a Nursing or Allied Health Program with direct human patient care in a health care facility.

Where can I obtain “Healthcare Provider” CPR certification?
Contact the Division of Continuing Education at any Community College or if you are presently working in a health care facility they may offer the course at the facility. Your CPR certification should include infant, child and adult.

How long is the CPR certification valid?
Two (2) years however, you cannot let the CPR certification lapse while in the program.

How can I prepare for the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
Study guides are available in the book store, you can “google” internet study sites and we have a prep program in our Academic Skills Center. You can visit for additional information.

How can I schedule to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
You must submit the Nuclear Medicine Technology program-specific application.

What is the cost of the Health Occupations Test?
The cost is thirty-five ($35.00) dollars and subject to change without notice.

How many times a year can I take the Health Occupations Admissions test (TEAS)?
Once per academic year.

Will I receive my scores on the day of testing?
Yes, you can visit the ATI web-site and access the scores.

Can I take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) admission test at another college and transfer the scores to JCC?
Yes, however, JCC only accepts scores directly from ATI.

I have a master’s degree will I have to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
Yes, all applicants applying to the Associate Degree Associate Degree Nuclear Medicine Technology Program must take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS).

Do I need a picture ID to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) admission test?
Yes, you must present a picture ID on your scheduled date of testing.

How many hours does it take to complete the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
Please allow three and one-half hours (3 ½).

Will I be taking the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) on a computer?

Do I need to bring anything with me to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?
You will need to bring only a picture ID and receipt showing payment. The College furnishes paper and pencils.

I am scheduled for the Health Occupations Test admission test and the college is closed due to inclement weather.
Please contact the Admission Office on the next business day to reschedule your testing date.

Do I have to submit to a criminal background check and a drug screening?
Yes, all accepted applicants are required by our clinical sites to submit a criminal background and drug screening, and random drug screens.

Can the information from a criminal background jeopardize my ability to complete the Associate Degree Nuclear Medicine Technology Program?
Yes, the student’s ability to participate in clinical experiences would result in the inability of the student to complete the program.

Do I have to complete the criminal background and drug screening before acceptance?

Does the College review the criminal background checks?
No, our clinical sites have access.

I have lived out-of-state and moved recently to North Carolina, can information on a Criminal background check be completed for another state?

How do I apply to the Associate Degree Nuclear Medicine program?
A College application and official transcripts must be on file in the Admissions Office to apply.
Steps in applying to the Nuclear Medicine program:
  • You will need to attend an Information Session on-line or on-campus (please visit our web-site for dates and times).
  • Applicants can receive the program specific application by completing an on-line session or attending an on-campus session.
  • The application packet should contain:
    Program specific application for admission to the Associate Degree Nuclear Medicine Technology program, a copy of your counselor interview summary, a copy of your CNA certification of completion or license/certificate holding a diploma/degree in Nursing or an Allied Health profession, Military Corpsman or Emergency Medical Technician Basic or Intermediate certification and currently certified with direct human patient care in a health care environment within the last 5 years. If completing on-line session, a copy of your e-mail.


For more information, contact:
Admissions Office
(919) 209-2128
Johnston Community College | 245 College Road | PO Box 2350 Smithfield, NC 27577
(919) 934-3051 - - Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.