SJCCTV Station Guidelines
Smithfield-Johnston Community College Television [SJCCTV] shall air educational information and communication on the authorized Time Warner Cable Channel 18. The goal of SJCCTV shall be to provide programming that fits the educational and communications needs of the Smithfield-Johnston County community. SJCCTV is operated by the Town of Smithfield and Johnston Community College.
The fundamental purposes of SJCCTV are to:
- Provide the community with information related to education in general and Johnston Community College activities in particular.
- Encourage and support school-community partnerships
Authority and Responsibility
SJCCTV facilities and programming operate under the jurisdiction of the Town of Smithfield [TOS] and Johnston Community College [JCC].
The TOS and JCC SJCCTV committees shall annually review the policies and operations of SJCCTV.
The SJCCTV channel shall be reserved solely for government and educational information programming created by or authorized by the Town of Smithfield and/or Johnston Community College.
Use of SJCCTV Equipment
Video production equipment may only be used by persons authorized by JCC and the Town of Smithfield.
Programming for SJCCTV shall come from sources such as:
- Tape delay video production - Some public meetings, school functions and special events will be taped for subsequent broadcast.
- Program replays - Taped programming of any type may be replayed at various times.
- Bulletin board - The primary source of information for the SJCCTV bulletin board shall be Town of Smithfield and Johnston Community College. Approved information from other non-profit or public entities may be included.
- JCC or TOS-produced programming – Such programming must be consistent with the intent of SJCCTV policy and any associated legal requirements and meet production standards determined by Johnston Community College. Ownership - Any materials developed by the TOS or JCC, or that use any SJCCTV resources in their development become the property of SJCCTV and not the property of any individual contributors to such projects.
- Programming not produced by SJCCTV - Some cable television programs will come from sources outside the district. Such programming must be consistent with the intent of SJCCTV policy and procedures and be approved by the Johnston Community College.
Program Priorities and Scheduling
Scheduling of all programming on SJCCTV shall be the responsibility of Johnston Community College. Scheduling will be in accordance with SJCCTV use priorities, as listed below, and the availability of equipment and resources.
- Emergency notification - To provide citizens with information in the case of emergency or for notification of school cancellations, late starts, early dismissals or activity changes.
- Educational or Instructional programming - Educational programming will have highest priority for production and broadcasting.
- Bulletin board - To provide informational messages to the community about programs and services offered by the Town of Smithfield and Johnston Community College and other non-profit organizational information that benefits the community.
- General educational programming - General educational and special event programming will be broadcast when deemed appropriate by the Johnston Community College.
- Any advocacy on behalf of or against a political candidate or ballot measure.
- Any promotional material for commercial products or services presented for the purpose of soliciting of funds or other things of value, except that this does not prevent SJCCTV from seeking sponsors to offset the production costs associated with its programming. Such sponsorship shall be acknowledged both before and after the program is aired.
- Any information concerning any lottery, gift enterprise or similar promotion offering prizes based upon lot or chance.
- Religious – Messages and information produced under the auspices of a religious organization or institution that focus on religious or sectarian matter.
- Any material which promotes the use of alcohol, tobacco or drugs, and any material which constitutes obscenity, libel, slander, invasion of privacy, violation of trademark or copyright or which might violate any local, state or federal law including FCC regulations.
- Any information that is not expressly authorized by the Town of Smithfield and/or the college.
- SJCCTV shall be a government and educational channel.
- SJCCTV shall not be a public access channel.
- SJCCTV shall not air commercial advertising.
- SJCCTV may air economic development activities of Smithfield and the Johnston County area.
- SJCCTV will not air campaign advertising for local, state or federal office, but may air updates given by current office holders representing Johnston County.
- SJCCTV will only air non-copyrighted material, unless written permission is obtained.
- SJCCTV will require signed releases for individuals appearing on the channel unless the content is recorded in a public place where there is no expectation of privacy.
- All requests to the college for videography to be aired on SJCCTV must be school-related and approved by a department Vice President.
- All requests to the Town of Smithfield for videography must be town sponsored and approved by the City Manager or designee.
- All requests to the college to air information on the SJCCTV Bulletin Board must be school-related and approved by a department Program Director.
- All requests to the Town of Smithfield to air information on the SJCCTV Bulletin Board must be town sponsored and approved by the City Manager or designee.
Adopted July, 2010