Online/Hybrid Course Development Request Process
Congratulations on your decision to develop an online or hybrid course! The steps below for requesting approval will guide you through the process for requesting approval from the JCC Curriculum Committee - the first step in our process:
STEP 1: Curriculum Committee Approval
- Ensure that the course has been offered in a traditional face-to-face format at least one
- Have your Department Dean approve the request to offer the course in an online or hybrid format.
- Plan your development timeline.
* For spring semester course offerings, Curriculum Committee approval may be received anytime prior to May 31st; course must be complete and presented to the DL Committee for approval by September 30th.
* For summer semester course offerings, Curriculum Committee approval may be received anytime prior to December 31st; course must be complete and presented to the DL Committee for approval by March 15th.
* For fall semester course offerings, Curriculum Committee approval may be received anytime prior to December 31st; course must be complete and presented to the DL Committee for approval by March 15th.
- Appoint at least one Subject Matter Expert who has agreed to participate in the course development
- Fill out and submit the Online/Hybrid Course Development Request Form
- Present your Course Development Plan to the Curriculum Committee
Upon receipt of your Course Development Request form, you will be contacted by the Committee Chair and notified as to the next committee meeting date in order to present your course development plan. Once approved by the committee, course development may begin.
STEP 2: Course Development
- The Director of Programs for Instructional Technology (x2257) will request your Blackboard
template shell. You will be contacted via email once your shell is ready. The Learning Technology
Administrator will also forward your information to the JOLT Instructional Designer,
who will contact you to begin the process of course development.
- Collaborate with your appointed SME(s) and the Instructional Designer as you develop the course. Refer to the JOLT Online Course Review Rubric as you build your course to ensure that you are meeting all JCC online course best
practices for quality assurance. Near the end of the development process, allow time
(at least 2 weeks) for JOLT and your SME to review before final presentation to the
- After your course is fully developed and reviewed by JOLT and your SME(s), seek final
DL Committee approval: Contact Amber Parker (Committee Chair) for next committee meeting date. Please adhere to deadlines: September
30th for spring semester, April 30th for summer semester, and January 31st for fall
Check out our handy Course Presentation Checklist for items that you'll want to feature during your presentation.
- Once approved, you're ready to go! After DL Committee approval, JOLT will process your approval and your course will be scheduled in WebAdvisor. You can then course copy from your template in Blackboard to your new course shell for the upcoming semester. (New course shells are available approximately 2 months prior to the start of the semester).
If you have any questions about the process, please call Amber Parker, Director of Programs for Instructional Technology at (919) 464-2257, or email: email@example.com.