Computer Skills Required
You will need basic computer and technical skills to participate in an on-line learning course. These skills include but are not limited to the following:
- Using a mouse including scrolling, left-clicking and right-clicking.
- Typing information for coursework.
- Creating documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
- Opening, minimizing and closing computer applications
- Participating in online bulletin/discussion boards.
- Participating in online chat rooms.
- Recognizing and understanding common file formats such as .doc or .docx, .pdf, and .txt
- Using appropriate plug-ins.
- Printing pages from a browser.
Hardware and Software You Will Need
In addition to your computer skills, you will also need adequate hardware and software to participate in an online course:
- Email software - The College provides a student email account to all students. Your instructor will send important messages to you at this address. You will need to check your email regularly.
- Document building software such as: Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel and Power Point).
- A supported browser - requiring plug-ins such as Flash, QuickTime, Java, etc. These plug-ins will provide the ability to view scanned articles or play audio or video movies from within your browser. Our Blackboard Learn system recommends Mozilla's Firefox.
- A high-speed internet connection such as DSL or Broadband/Cable connection.