Hunting Safety Regulations
- Treat every firearm with the same respect due a loaded firearm.
- Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction. Do not load firearm
until safely in the stand, keeping the safety on until ready to shoot. Keep your
finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Identify your target and what is beyond it. Know the identifying features
of the game you hunt.
- Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions and that you have
only ammunition of the proper size for the firearm you are carrying.
- Unload firearms when not in use. Leave the actions open. Firearms should
be carried empty in cases to and from hunting area.
- Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot. Do not
horseplay with a firearm.
- Never climb a fence or tree, or jump a ditch or log with a loaded firearm.
Never pull a firearm towards you by the muzzle.
- Wear a safety orange hat and/or vest at all times while on the property
when hunting deer, feral pig, squirrel, and quail.
- When hunting for deer or feral pigs, hunters must hunt at least 10-feet off
the ground but no more than 20 feet.
- No type of tree stand may be erected on a dead tree (snag) or a tree with
the upper 1/3 of the branches dead.
- When hunting for deer or feral pigs, hunters must use a properly
maintained stand that is certified by the Treestand Manufacturers Association (TMA).
- Use a full-body safety harness at all times while in tree stand.
- Each hunter must possess a working flashlight and use it while going to and from hunting area
during the period of darkness.
- Hunt in your designated hunting area only. Do not stray from your area
for any reason.
- No alcohol or other mind-altering drug may be ingested eight hours prior
to or during the hunt.
- No hunter may track an animal alone or without a Howell Woods staff member
or designated hunt volunteer.
- Emergency phone numbers: Howell Woods Office: 919-938-0115 or call 911.
- All violators of any safety protocol will be immediately removed, without
refund, from the property and prohibited from any future hunting opportunities
at Howell Woods.
©2013 Johnston Community College. All Rights Reserved.
Site best viewed in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.