On-site overnight lodging is available in our enviro-friendly cabins. The two identical cabins are nestled beneath whispering pine trees and are located next to each other. They overlook our longleaf pine savannah restoration site. The cabins are designed exactly alike with two bunk rooms
connected to a shared kitchen.
Each bunk room has a private and separate shower and toilet room, one full size bed, three twin size bunks and a mirrored sink. Linens, pillows, comforters and towels are not provided.
The shared kitchen has most of the items you will need to prepare and serve great meals. It is equipped with a microwave and stovetop only (no oven), cookware, dinnerware and utensils. An outside cooking area, with a large, swivel charcoal grill and two picnic tables, is located between the two cabins.
A small laundry center is also located in the kitchen. It is complete with a stackable washer and dryer unit.
To help you meet those early morning adventures and be prepared for whatever weather they may bring, we have equipped each cabin with alarm clocks, a Midland S.A.M.E. NOAA AM/FM Weather radio and an Oregon Scientific Forecaster weather station. At the end of the day, you can reflect on the day’s activities on the cozy front porch.
Each cabin has a covered front porch with the comfort of ceiling fans and four rocking chairs. This is a perfect place to plan for the next day or enjoy the quiet solitude of Howell Woods.
Please see the Rates and Fees page for information on rental rates and check-in/check-out times.
To reserve a cabin, please complete the Cabin Rental Request form.
Environmentally Friendly Materials and Features
The cabins at Howell Woods were designed with numerous features and materials to be environmentally friendly. One of the major environmentally friendly themes of the cabins is the use of recycled materials or the use of durable items made from long lasting materials that do not have to be replaced regularly therefore requiring fewer resources for replacement. All the materials and energy efficient appliances are locally available or easy to obtain over the internet.
- Fiber Cement Siding
- Made from wood pulp, cement, sand, and water, highly resistant to water, wind and insect damage and is extremely fire resistant. Absorbs and retains paint much longer than wood, requiring less frequent painting. Carries a 50 year warranty.
- Metal Roof
- Galvanized steel, resistant to fire, mildew, insects and rot. Carries a 30 year warranty.
- Composite Wood Deck
- Made from 50% recycled wood fibers and 50% recycled plastic. Resistant to rot and insects. Carries a 25 year warranty.
- GreenGuard Certified Interior Fiberglass Insulation
- Certified for superior indoor air quality performance. Uses pre-consumer and post-consumer recycled glass.
- Energy Star Rated Appliances
- All major appliances were selected for their energy conservation ratings. Current Energy Star Appliances include; refrigerator/freezer, stackable washer/dryer combo and tankless gas water heater.
- Energy Efficient Materials and Lighting
- Large numerous windows allow plenty of ambient light into the rooms of the cabin. All light fixtures use fluorescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs. All windows and doors are double pane insulated glass and are made of low maintenance, long lasting materials.
- Water Conservation Devices
- All indoor water outlets are low-flow, water saving design. Water collected from rain barrels are used to water the landscaping around the cabins.
- Recycled, Durable and Natural/Organic Items
- Many items in the cabins are used based on their recycled content, long lasting or durable materials (require fewer resources for replacement) or their natural or organic make. Such items include:
- Door mats - made from 60% recycled rubber
- Paper towels - made from recycled paper
- Window blinds - made from all natural wood are easy to clean and extremely durable (lifetime warranty)
- Stainless Steel cookware and utensils - Stainless steel is 100% recyclable, the average stainless steel object is composed of about 60% recycled material. It is also extremely durable, easy to clean and very hygienic.
- Glass and vitrified china dinnerware - Made from natural materials, extremely durable and easy to clean. Free from the "leaching" effects of synthetic materials.
- Stainless steel and cast iron sinks - Natural recyclable materials, extremely durable, easy to clean and very hygienic.
©2013 Johnston Community College. All Rights Reserved.
Site best viewed in Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.