EKG Monitor Technician
EKG Monitor Technician*This 72-hour course prepares individuals with skills to deliver safe and competent patient care. This course is designed to provide individual with critical thinking and problem solving knowledge to use in everyday practice. Course work includes classroom and simulations practice. Upon satisfactory completion of this entire course, students will be allowed to take the written and skills competency for interpreting cardiac heart rhythms. Course serves as prerequisite for certification as 12 Lead EKG Technician.
Cost: $190, Book fee estimated $120, uniform cost $40.
- BLS certified, must be for Healthcare Provider.
- High School Diploma/GED/ High School Transcript.
Dates: August 13 - October 15, 2014
Time: 0830 a.m. - 1600 p.m.
EKG TechnicianThis 48-hour course is designed and approved to prepare the student to become a certified EKG technician, following the requirements of the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT). Students will have knowledge of cardiac terminology, understand the structure and function of the heart, and understand the anatomy and physiology of the heart. Students will have a basic understanding of the electrical conduction system and how it affects heart function. Based upon this knowledge, students will know why an EKG is performed. They will understand the cardiac cycle, be able to identify common artifacts, and demonstrate patient prep as well as proper placement of EKG leads. Students will be able to operate the equipment, run a strip accurately, and mount it properly. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be prepared to take the national certification examination through ASPT. Students must be certified in Basic Life Support/CPR and completed the EKG Monitor Technician class to enroll in this course. Students will observe EKGs being performed in a clinical setting, as well.
Cost: $125, Book fee estimated $55, uniform cost $40, and criminal background fee est. $71.
- Current BLS card; Must be for Healthcare Provider.
- Two matching government ID cards (Photo driver’s license/social security card/military or passport).
- High School Diploma/GED/ High School Transcript – if not must pass reading test.
- Must have successfully completed EKG Monitor Technician class at JCC.
Dates: March 26 - May 21, 2014
*Nationally Certified through ASPT
You must complete the EKG Monitor Tech class prior to enrolling in the EKG Certification.
Time: 0830 a.m. - 1500 p.m.
Dates: October 22 - December 10, 2014
Time: 0830 a.m. - 1500 p.m.
Orientation & RegistrationDates: Fall Registration: Students may come to the Public Safety Building to register and receive Orientation for Fall Classes from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday - Thursday.
Students must bring the following to register:
- social security card
- drivers' license
- copy of high school diploma, transcript, GED or reading placement scores
- Criminal background check fee: $70 (est.)
- Please note: Class space is limited and enrollment is on a first-come first-served basis.
ADMISSION PROCESS:To register, bring copies of the following to the Registration/Orientation:
- Your completed Registration Form
- A copy of your High School diploma or equivalent*
- Valid Driver's License
- Current HealthCare Provider CPR card**
- Social Security Card
Please call (919) 209-2522 to register.
BLS (CPR) is offered the second and fourth Saturdays each month. Cost is $72.50.