Disability ServicesDifferences Between High School and College for Students with Disabilities
Disability Services Request Form
Request for Academic Adjustment and/or Auxiliary Aid
The Disability Services Office helps adapt Johnston Community College's general services to the individual and specialized needs of students who have special health conditions, disabilities, or limitations. Services are provided in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Acts of 1973, as amended in 1998 in Part IV of the Workforce Investment Act, Perkins Vocational and Applied Technology Education Act of 1998, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Our goal is to ensure all qualified students with equal opportunity and access to all programs and facilities.
Steps the Student Should Take
- Any student seeking reasonable accommodations must initiate contact with the Disability Services Coordinator to request services. It is the student's responsibility to request services in a timely manner (at least 30 days prior to the beginning of classes). Information about a student's disability is not collected in the admissions process. Subsequently, the information a student provides regarding a disability is completely voluntary.
- All students requesting reasonable accommodations due to a disabling condition must provide the Disability Services Coordinator with current documentation verifying a disability. Documentation submitted must be from a qualified professional and include a clear diagnostic statement, a description of the assessment tools used to render the diagnosis, and a statement reflecting the student's current needs and level of functioning in an educational setting. All documentation and information regarding a student's disability is kept confidential and separate from academic records. Questions pertaining to acceptable documentation may be directed to the Disability Services Coordinator.
- Once disability verification documentation is received, each student must schedule an interview with the Disability Services Coordinator. During this interview, discussion will take place about the requested accommodations as well as other resources available at Johnston Community College and in the community.
- Once a student is registered with the Disability Services Office, it is the student's responsibility to request accommodations each semester and to maintain contact with the Disability Services Coordinator regarding any changes.
New Students: If you have not previously requested Disability Services and would like to begin the process, please complete the following forms and return to the Disability Services Coordinator:
- Request for Disability Services
- Confidentiality Release
- Request for Academic Adjustment and/or Auxiliary Aid
Returning Students: If you have previously registered with Disability Services and would like to request assistance for your upcoming or current semester schedule, please complete the following form and return to the Disability Services Coordinator (this form must be updated each semester Disability Services are requested):
For more information, contact:
Disability Services Office - 919-209-2543
Student Services Office - 919-209-2128
TTY - 919-209-2154