Johnston Community College

  Search WebAdvisor for Classes  Blackboard  Jaguar Alerts  Appointment Plus  Ed2Go Online Courses  Student Google e-Mail  Outlook Faculty/Staff e-Mail   Find Us On Facebook!   Schedules and Registration - WebAdvisor JCC's QEP - Quality Enhancement Plan
Scenes from JCC
 Browse by Program:
Site Content
corner of main content section

Frequently Asked Questions: Cardiac and Vascular Sonography

Where is Johnston Community College located?

JCC’s main campus is conveniently located near the intersection of I-95 and Highway 70 East in Smithfield, North Carolina. Directions can be viewed at

How do I begin the admission process to apply to the College?

Step 1.  Apply (submit the application to the college; this can be completed on-line at .
Step 2. Request official transcripts from your high school and each college attended. Submit transcripts to the Admissions Office-P O Box 2350-Smithfield, NC 27577.  Official transcripts are received in a sealed envelope from your high school or college(s).  Do not open the envelope!

Do I have to be a high school graduate to enter the program?

Yes, all applicants must have graduated before entering the program

What if I took the GED or graduated from an Adult High School do I still need my high school transcript?
Yes, this can assist in determining if you have met the admission requirements.

Do you accept the GED diploma?


I took a class at a University in 1994 and the course doesn’t pertain to the Cardiac and Vascular Sonography Program. Do I need to obtain an official transcript?

Yes, we need official transcripts from your high school and all Colleges attended. No exceptions!

I took the GED at JCC or another Community College in North Carolina. Where do I obtain a copy of my GED scores?
If you took the GED in North Carolina the scores can be obtain from the State Department of Community Colleges in Raleigh.  The address is: NCCCS-5002 Mail Service Center - Raleigh, NC  27699.  Phone Number: (919) 807-7136.

I took the GED in another state. How do I obtain the GED scores?

Contact the State Board of Education in that state and they should be able to assist you. If you have a copy of your scores the information and where additional scores can be obtained is indicated on the score sheet.

 I graduated twenty years ago will my high school still have my transcripts?

Yes, they are required to keep transcripts.

How long does it take to complete the application, transcripts, interviewing/and or testing process?

Approximately four to six weeks so you need to apply and plan accordingly. Transcript arrival can sometimes take longer.

What are the admission requirements for the Associate Degree Sonography Program?

  • Graduated from high school or the equivalent before entering the program.
  • Must complete the following prerequisites with a grade of “C” or higher prior to March 1 of the admitting year: BIO 163, COM 231, MAT 151 or 161, and PHY 110 & 110A.
  • If you hold a bachelor or Associate Degree and are currently certified in Radiography, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Respiratory Therapy, Emergency Medicine (Paramedic) and Sonography, CNA is not required.

Why must I take the college placement test?

The placement test helps evaluate a student’s readiness to successfully complete college level courses.

Can I prepare to take the placement test?

Yes, please visit our web-site for a study guide.

How can I take the College placement test?

All transcripts (high school and College) must be on file before the placement test is scheduled by the Admissions Office.

I have taken the placement test at another College can those scores be used?

Yes, you must request the test scores be forwarded to JCC and must contain information on course placement.

How can I complete the interview with an admissions counselor?

All transcripts (high school and college) must be on file. Your transcripts are reviewed by the Admissions Office to determine if testing is required or waived. If testing is waived, the Admissions Office will schedule an appointment. At the interview if you have indicated you are interested in a Health Care program you will not need to complete this process again unless you have additional questions.

Do I need to complete all related courses before I can be admitted to the program?

No, Many students do complete all the general education courses prior to beginning the Cardiac and Vascular Sonography program.  You can earn points for the point ranking by completing related course work.

Will I need BIO 166 Anatomy and Physiology II if I have taken BIO 165 Anatomy and Physiology I?


I have taken Anatomy & Physiology at another college over twenty years (20) years ago, will I need to retake the course?

We currently have no time limit.

I have taken a Humanities/Fine Arts course at an out-of-state college and I wasn’t given transfer credit and I feel like it is the same as your course. What can I do?

Obtain a course description from the College and contact the Registrar’s Office.

I attended a community college that doesn’t offer ENG 112. Can I take ENG 113?

Yes, ENG 113 can be used in lieu of ENG 112.

Can I take a foreign language as my Humanities/Fine Arts Elective?

No, foreign languages cannot be used to meet the Humanities/Fine Arts Electives for the Associate in Applied Science Degree.

Can I complete the Associate Degree Sonography Program part-time?

The related course work can be completed part-time, but once you are admitted to the program it is a full-time commitment.

How can I view the Associate Degree Cardiac and Vascular Sonography curricula outline?

It can be viewed at

What day and approximate time are the day classes?

Sonography classes/clinical are daytime and usually over by 4:00 p.m. depending on the semester. Students taking general education requirements may be longer.

Where do students complete their clinical training?

Clinical experiences are currently held at Johnston Medical Center, Wayne Memorial Hospital, Sampson Regional Medical Center, Sampson Regional ODC, Harnett Health, Eastern Carolina Medical Center, Wake Med, Wake Med Cary, Rex Healthcare, Duke Health Raleigh, Duke, UNC, Maria Parham, Cape Fear Valley Health System (Fayetteville). First Health in Pinehurst, Nash General, Lenoir Hospital, and Halifax Regional Hosptial. The Sonography Program Director and Clinical Coordinator determine clinical site assignments. Students may have to drive an hour to clinical sites.

Can I take classes on any JCC campus or online?

Some related courses are offered at the Work Force Development Center in Clayton; however, SON and CVS courses are available only on the main campus in Smithfield. We do offer some of the prerequisites and general education courses online.

What if I meet the requirements and completed all the related course(s), can I be accepted into the program?

You can be considered for admission to the Cardiac and Vascular Sonography program. It is a competitive program and has more applicants than seats available.

Do you have a waiting list?

No, applicants must apply each year to be considered.

How are applicants selected for the Associate Degree Sonography Program?

Currently, the College uses a point ranking system. The point ranking system is available at

How many students do you accept and do you admit each semester?

We admit thirteen (13) students in the Medical Sonography Program and ten (10) students in the Cardiac & Vascular Sonography Program to begin in the fall semester of each year depending on clinical space availability.

How many semesters is the Associate Degree Sonography program?

Five semesters

Can I work while in the Associate Degree Sonography program?

We cannot tell students not to work; however, we suggest not letting your work interfere with your success in college courses.

Is your Associate Degree Sonography program accredited?

Johnston Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and the program is accredited by CAAHEP via the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Sonography Programs for GEN, Cardiac, and Vascular Sonography.

How can I obtain the CNA certification?

You would need to contact the Division of Continuing Education at Johnston Community College or a Community College in your area. The classes are offered on a different schedule than the regular college calendar. Applicants must have successfully completed a North Carolina approved Certified Nurse Aide I Program and currently listed on the Nurse Aide I Registry with no substantiated finding of resident abuse, resident neglect or misappropriation of resident property in a Nursing Facility. The Certified Nurse Aide I Training Program must include theory, lab and clinical components.

How long is the CNA class?

The CNA class is one-hundred sixty (160) hours with theory, lab and clinical.

How much does the CNA class cost?

The approximate cost is four hundred fifty dollars ($450.00).

I live close to another Community College can I take the CNA class at that College?

Yes, CNA must be completed at a State-Approved Training Program. A list of approved schools can be viewed at

I am currently EMT certified must I also complete the CNA class?

Not if you hold an Associate Degree in EMS.

Where can I obtain “Healthcare Provider” CPR certification?

Contact the Division of Continuing Education at any Community College or if you are presently working in a health care facility they may offer the course at the facility.

How long is the CPR certification valid?

Two years (2) however, you cannot let the CPR certification lapse while in the program.

How will the College know if I am CPR certified?

You will receive a card upon completion of the CPR class.

How can I prepare for the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

Study guides are available in the book store, you can “google” internet study sites and we have a prep program in our academic skills center. You can visit for additional information.

How can I schedule to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

You must submit the Associate Degree Sonography program-specific application and have met all admission requirements.

What is the cost of the Health Occupations Test?

The cost is thirty-five ($35.00) to forty ($40.00) dollars and subject to change without notice.

Where do I pay for the test after I have been scheduled?

Cashiers Office located in the Wilson Building.

How many times a year can I take the Health Occupations Admissions test (TEAS)?

Once per academic year

What score do I need to achieve on the Health Occupations Admissions test to be considered for the Associate Degree Sonography Program?

Currently, we have no cut-off score

Will I receive my scores on the day of testing?


Can I take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) admission test at another college and transfer the scores to JCC?

Yes, we accept scores from ATI.

I have a master’s degree will I have to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

Yes, all applicants applying to the Associate Degree Sonography Program must take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS).

Do I need a picture ID to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) admission test?

Yes, you must present a picture ID on your scheduled date of testing.

How many hours does it take to complete the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

Please allow three and one-half hours (3 ½).

Will I be taking the Health Occupations Test (TEAS) on a computer?


Do I need to bring anything with me to take the Health Occupations Test (TEAS)?

No, you will need to bring only a picture ID. The College furnishes paper and pencils.

I am scheduled for the Health Occupations Test admission test and the college is closed due to inclement weather.

Please contact the Admission Office on the next business day to reschedule your testing date.

Do I have to submit to a criminal background check and a drug screening?

Yes, all accepted applicants are required by our clinical sites to submit a criminal background and drug screening, and random drug screens. The criminal background/drug screening must begin within 24 hours after receipt of acceptance.

Can the information from a criminal background jeopardize my ability to complete the Associate Degree Sonography Program?

Yes, the student’s ability to participate in clinical experiences would result in the inability of the student to complete the program. In addition, the certification agencies may not allow you to take the certification exams if you have a positive background check.

Do I have to complete the criminal background and drug screening before acceptance?

You do not need a criminal background check to apply to a health science program. However, our clinical sites do require and pending the outcome may deny you the opportunity to complete the clinical portion of the program.

Does the College review the criminal background checks?

No, the clinical sites have access.

I have lived out-of-state and moved recently to North Carolina can information on a criminal background check be completed for another state?


How do I apply to the Associate Degree Sonography Program?

You will need to attend an Information Session on-line or at the College (please visit our web-site for dates and times

Applications are required to be submitted in packet form. The packet should contain:

  • Program specific application for admission to the Associate Degree Sonography Program
  • A copy of your counselor interview summary
  • A copy of your CNA certification (or certificate)
  • If you hold an Associate or Bachelors degree in Nursing, Radiography, Respiratory Therapy, Physical Therapy, EMS (Paramedic) or Sonography a copy of your license is required.
  • If you completed an on-line information session, please include your confirmation e-mail
Also, Official transcripts from high school and all colleges attended must be on file in the Admissions Office at JCC to process your application.


For more information, contact:
Admissions Office
(919) 209-2128

Cathy Godwin Daniels
Program Director, Sonography Programs
(919) 209-2158
Johnston Community College | 245 College Road | PO Box 2350 Smithfield, NC 27577
(919) 934-3051 - - Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.