Cardiovascular Technician (EKG)
2017 Fall Semester
August 28 - December 4
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (5:00 last two days)
This 100-hour course is designed and approved to prepare the student to become a certified EKG technician, following the requirements of the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT). Students will have knowledge of cardiac terminology, understand the structure and function of the heart, and understand the anatomy and physiology of the heart. Students will have a basic understanding of the electrical conduction system and how it affects heart function.Students will have to interpret heart rhythms. Based upon this knowledge, students will know why an EKG is performed. They will understand the cardiac cycle, be able to identify common artifacts, and demonstrate patient prep as well as proper placement of EKG leads. Students will be able to operate the equipment, run a strip accurately, and mount it properly. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be prepared to take the national certification examination through ASPT. Students must be certified in Basic Life Support/CPR to enroll in this course. Students will observe EKGs being performed in a clinical setting, as well.
Approximate Cost: $199, Basic Arrhythmias $149.66 wit tax, Health Care Professionals Guide $20.50 with tax, name tag $4.25 with tax, uniform cost $30, and criminal background fee est. $120. (Subject to change)
- Current BLS card; Must be for Healthcare Provider.
- Two matching government ID cards (Photo driver's license/social security card/military or passport).
- High School Diploma/GED/ High School Transcript – if not must pass reading test.
*Recommend NA I certification
*Nationally Certified through ASPT
Students must bring the following to register:
- social security card
- drivers' license
- copy of high school diploma, transcript, GED or reading placement scores
- Criminal background check fee: $120.00 (est.)
- Please note: Class space is limited and enrollment is on a first-come first-served basis.
To register, bring copies of the following to the Registration/Orientation:
- Your completed Registration Form (PDF)
- A copy of your High School diploma or equivalent*
- Valid Driver's License
- Current HealthCare Provider CPR card**
- Social Security Card
**You must be certified in BLS (CPR) for Healthcare Providers for this class.
Please call (919) 209-2522 to register.
BLS (CPR) is offered the second and fourth Saturdays each month. Cost is $77.75
For more information, contact:
Administrative Assistant for CNA
Connie H. Grady
Director, Health Education and Nursing Assistant Programs
Office: Public Safety Services J1130
Phone: (919) 464-2355