Cardiovascular Technician (EKG)
This 100-hour course is designed and approved to prepare the student to become a certified EKG technician, following the requirements of the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT). Students will have knowledge of cardiac terminology, understand the structure and function of the heart, and understand the anatomy and physiology of the heart. Students will have a basic understanding of the electrical conduction system and how it affects heart function.Students will have to interpret heart rhythms. Based upon this knowledge, students will know why an EKG is performed. They will understand the cardiac cycle, be able to identify common artifacts, and demonstrate patient prep as well as proper placement of EKG leads. Students will be able to operate the equipment, run a strip accurately, and mount it properly.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be prepared to take the national certification examination through ASPT. Students must be certified in Basic Life Support/CPR to enroll in this course. Students will observe EKGs being performed in a clinical setting, as well.
Estimated Program Cost
Basic Arrhythmias: $149.66 with tax
Health Care Professionals Guide: $20.50 with tax
Name Tag: $4.25 with tax
Criminal Background Check: $120
*All prices subject to change
- Current BLS card; Must be for Healthcare Provider.
- Two matching government ID cards (Photo driver's license/social security card/military or passport).
- High School Diploma/GED/ High School Transcript – if not must pass reading test.
*Recommend NA I certification
*Nationally Certified through ASPT
Students must bring the following to register:
- Social Security Card
- Drivers' License
- Copy of high school diploma, transcript, GED or reading placement scores
- Criminal background check fee: $120.00 (est.)
- Please note: Class space is limited and enrollment is on a first-come first-served basis.
To register, bring copies of the following to the Registration/Orientation:
- Your completed Registration Form (PDF)
- A copy of your High School diploma or equivalent*
- Valid Driver's License
- Current HealthCare Provider CPR card**
- Social Security Card
**You must be certified in BLS (CPR) for Healthcare Providers for this class.
Please call (919) 209-2522 to register.
BLS (CPR) is offered the second and fourth Saturdays each month. Cost is $77.75
2018 Fall Semester
September 10-December 10
Mondays 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (5:00 last two days)
For more information, please first contact:
Ruth Ann Lanier
Administrative Assistant for NA
If no reply within 24 hours, then contact:
Connie H. Grady
Director of Health Education and Nurse Aide Programs
Office: Public Safety Services J1130
Phone: (919) 464-2355