Ambassador Application Process
Applications are no longer being accepted for the 2017-18 academic year.
The Ambassador program is available to both graduating high school students and new or current JCC students who meet the following requirements:
- All students must have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Current JCC students must have completed at least 12 credit hours and be a full-time student
- Students new to JCC must plan to enroll for at least 12 credit hours
- All students must be in good standing in the community and in their respective schools
Student Ambassadors are selected through a process based on the application, two letters of reference (one personal, one professional), and a panel interview. In addition, applicants must sign a contract stating they understand the requirements of the program. Students who have served as ambassadors for two academic years are no longer eligible to apply.
- Must successfully complete both Fall and Spring semesters as a full-time student (earning a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester) during the academic year of appointment
- Must fulfill academic requirements for attendance and complete assignments in all courses
- Must have and maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average
- Students with no JCC GPA must provide a copy of a recent report card or transcript (college or high school accepted)
- Must be in good standing with respective schools and in the community
- Must provide completed application, two reference letters (one personal, one professional), signed contract, and interview with panel
- Ability to participate in required functions and complete one service hour per week in the Student Services/Foundation offices (approximately 120 hours each semester)
- Cannot serve as a Student Government Association officer during the academic year of appointment (both SGA and Ambassadors require significant time commitments)
- Cannot serve more than two years as an Ambassador
NOTE: Termination or withdrawal from the Ambassador program requires the return of all items provided by JCC, and students may be required to repay the scholarship amount. Failure to return items will result in a hold placed on all grades released and future transcript requests. Further, if selected and accepting of the Ambassador scholarship, students agree to forfeit any other JCC Foundation scholarship awarded through johnstoncc.academicworks.com. Outside or third party scholarships may be retained.
What is expected of a JCC Ambassador?
Ambassadors must have flexibility to participate in many campus and JCC Foundation functions as well as community volunteer opportunities. On average, an Ambassador participates in a minimum of 120 hours of service each semester. Activities and events include, but are not limited to:
- JCC late registration and new student orientation sessions
- Ambassador orientation and retreat
- Monthly campus meetings
- Campus tours
- Donor Appreciation and Scholarship Recipient event
- Foundation Golf Auction and Tournament event
- Evening for Education event
- Breakfast before Business event
- Public speaking engagements
- Leadership book reading and presentation
- Service hours each week in Student Services/Foundation offices
- Service projects and fundraising activities as designated by Ambassador Advisor and Ambassadors
*Please note that these activities and events may occur at or with religious organizations and fall on weekends. It is recommended not to apply should you feel you could not participate in these functions.*
- Full tuition, activity, and technology fees paid for one year at in-state rates (FALL AND SPRING SEMESTERS ONLY)
- Personal and professional development
- Clothing and name tag
- Opportunities to meet community and state leaders and become acquainted with trustees, foundation board, faculty, and staff
- Being a part of a small, exceptional group of students committed to the success of JCC and its students
To apply to become a JCC Student Ambassador, please complete the application materials below and return them to:
Tiffany Trujillo, Ambassador Advisor
245 College Rd.
Smithfield, NC 27577
Applications must be postmarked by March 31, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.