Johnston Community College

  Search WebAdvisor for Classes  Blackboard  Jaguar Alerts  Appointment Plus  Ed2Go Online Courses  Student Google e-Mail  Outlook Faculty/Staff e-Mail   Find Us On Facebook!   Schedules and Registration - WebAdvisor JCC's QEP - Quality Enhancement Plan
Scenes from JCC
 Browse by Program:
Site Content
corner of main content section
Skip Navigation LinksAdmission FAQ :: Future Students :: Home

Admission FAQ

What do I need to do to enroll at Johnston Community College?
You must complete an application and request that official transcripts from high school and all colleges be sent directly to the Admissions Office (Johnston Community College, PO Box 2350, Smithfield, NC 27577).  When this information is received, the Admissions Office will contact you regarding possible placement testing or to schedule an interview with a counselor.
Is there an application fee?
How do I get a copy of my high school transcript?
You must request a copy in writing from the last high school you attended and include your signature and social security number.  Make your request using the Request for Transcript (pdf) form.
I've taken Continuing Education classes. Do I still need to fill out an application?
Can I take classes if I don't have a high school diploma?
Possibly, you will need to contact a counselor.
Can I transfer credits from another college?
Possibly, if the course(s) you completed are the same as the course(s) at JCC and you have a grade of "C" or better.
I've taken classes at JCC before, but it's been awhile.  What do I need to do?
Your first step is to complete a new application and then contact the Admissions Office to determine if your records are still on file.
I don't want to take classes for credit.  What do I need to do?
You must still complete the admissions process, but you may register to audit the classes you wish to take or you may take Continuing Education classes.
What degrees are available at JCC and what are the requirements for the programs?
Program listings provide descriptions and requirements. You may also refer to the current JCC Catalog.
How do I get a copy of the JCC Catalog?
Current and recent Catalogs are available in PDF format. You may also stop by or call the Admissions Office to request a Catalog.
How much will it cost for me to go to JCC?
Tuition is set by the N.C. General Assembly. Tuition information is provided for current rates for residents and non-residents and any additional fees.
Will I have to take any tests?
You are required to take an online computerized placement test (Accuplacer) to determine English and math placement unless you qualify for Exemption from Placement Testing. (Requirements described below):

Multiple Measures
Effective November 5, 2013, students who enroll at Johnston Community College Fall 2014 may be exempt from English, Reading and Math placement testing if the following criteria are met:
  • The applicant is admitted and registered for classes within five (5) years from the high school graduation date.
  • The applicant has an un-weighted high school GPA of 2.6 or greater.
  • The applicant has successfully completed four (4) high school math courses including three (3) Core Mathematics Courses and at least one higher level math course* as recognized by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
  • Placement for students who apply before graduation from high school will be based on their high school GPA at the end of the fall term of their senior year.

SAT/ACT Scores
Students who enroll at Johnston Community College may be exempt from English, Reading and/or Math placement testing if the following SAT or ACT scores are met:
  • SAT Scores
    Writing: 500 OR Reading: 500
    Math: 500
  • ACT Scores
    English: 18 OR Reading: 20
    Math: 22

Other exemptions from Placement testing
Students who enroll at Johnston Community College may be exempt from English, Reading and/or Math placement testing with:
  • Successful completion (a grade of C or higher) of a college-level math and /or English course from a regionally accredited institution.
  • Successful completion of a developmental level course in English and/or Math from another North Carolina Community College
  • Appropriate Advanced Placement (AP) scores
  • Appropriate College Level Exam Program (CLEP) scores
  • Appropriate ACCUPLACER, COMPASS or ASSET scores

Students, who qualify for a placement test waiver in math or English but not both, will need to complete the ACCUPLACER for the skill area not exempted. Student must present all documentation when requesting a waiver.

Core Mathematics Courses:
  • Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II; OR
  • Common Core Math I, II and III; OR
  • Integrated Math I, II and III

PLUS, a fourth mathematics course from the list below:

Approved Math Courses ( 4th Math):
  • Advanced Functions and Modeling*
  • Discrete Mathematics*
  • Pre-Calculus*
  • Integrated Mathematics IV*
  • AP Statistics*
  • AP Calculus (AB)*
  • AP Calculus (BC)*
  • Analytical Geometry
  • Integrated Mathematics
  • Mindset
  • Probability & Statistics
  • Trigonometry

* Will also meet UNC mathematics requirements.
Why do I need an interview with a counselor?
A counselor will assist you with any questions you have, review placement test scores and/or transcripts, and place you into English and math courses.
Does JCC have a new student orientation?
All students in certificate, diploma, and associate degree programs are required to complete ACA 111 (College Student Success) and/or ACA 118 (College and Study Skills).
What kinds of services are provided for students with disabilities?
A variety of services are available for students with qualified disabilities. Detailed information is available.
Johnston Community College | 245 College Road | PO Box 2350 Smithfield, NC 27577
(919) 934-3051 - - Copyright © 2014, All Rights Reserved.