ACCUPLACER is a computerized placement testing system that delivers the North Carolina Diagnostic Assessment and Placement (NC DAP) test. The NC DAP test is designed to provide information about the academic skills of students in English, reading, and mathematics. The primary purpose of placement testing is to determine a student’s preparedness for college-level coursework or to assess if a student would benefit from developmental courses. Placement testing is a valuable tool in ensuring that students are enrolled in courses that support student success.As part of the admissions process, a student’s NC DAP assessment scores are used for placement into basic English and mathematics classes. Not all students will need placement testing for their program of study. To ensure unnecessary placement testing does not occur, Johnston Community College requires all applicants to provide the following information before a placement test is scheduled:
- An application for admission
- All high school and college transcripts of all institutions attended or GED Certificate
- Applicable standardized test scores from the Scholastic Achievement Test (SAT) and/or American College Test (ACT)
- Advanced Placement (AP) test scores
- Any previous college placement assessments taken
Once the above items have been received, Admissions Coordinators will determine if a student requires placement testing with NC DAP by using multiple placement measures and alternate assessments. High school transcripts and scores from alternate assessments previously taken must meet college minimums and be less than five (5) years old. Alternate assessments include the ASSET, COMPASS, SAT, and ACT. Students with scores below the minimum requirements must take the placement test. If a student requires testing and waivers are not granted, a letter will be mailed notifying you of your scheduled placement test day and time. Please visit the Admissions FAQ webpage for placement determination criterion for JCC’s multiple measures policy.
Placement testing occurs in the Wilson Building on JCC’s main campus, Room C1109. Please arrive no later than 15 minutes before your scheduled placement testing time. You will be required to show valid photo identification before entering the Testing Center. Walk-in testing is not allowed. Testing is located in the Wilson Building - JCC Main Campus.
Are you prepared to take the Accuplacer assessment?By reviewing and taking practice tests, you can save lots of time and money because each pre-curriculum review course you take will cost you resources in pursuit of your certificate or degree. We strongly encourage all students to review available resources before taking Accuplacer.
- NC DAP Combined Mathematics & English/Reading Sample Questions Guide
- Official NC DAP Study App
- Kahn Academy
- General Accuplacer Preparation
Retesting PolicyRetesting is permitted only with the approval of a counselor or developmental course instructor. During the admissions interview, a counselor may grant approval after reviewing information such as the student’s academic record, performance in high school coursework, and previous test performance. Upon approval, a retest authorization form may be issued and the student will be given a new date for testing. Developmental course instructors may approve retesting if the student shows exceptional performance in the course. In this case, students are responsible for obtaining a signed retest authorization form from their instructor and submitting it to Student Services. Students will be contacted with a date for testing. Other extenuating circumstances regarding retesting must be approved by the testing coordinator.
Students may only take the placement test once in a five year period with the following exceptions:
- Students who tested at a local high school may test when applying for admission to JCC
- Students granted approval to retest by specific faculty and admissions counselors who determine that a student could benefit from retesting certain sections of NC DAP
What to expect on test dayThe Testing Center at JCC offers a testing environment exclusively dedicated to computer placement testing. Twenty-five testing stations are available for student’s testing needs. Expect your NC DAP assessment to take 2-3 hours for completion so plan your day accordingly.
On your scheduled test date, please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Arrive no later than 15 minutes before test time (arrivals more than 15 minutes late will not be allowed to test)
- Provide a current photo ID (driver’s license, current student ID, passport, military ID, Tribal ID, Naturalization Card, State, National, or Province ID)
- Do not bring hand-held calculators as they are not allowed on the NC DAP Assessment
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the Testing Center
- Cell phones must be turned off and stored out-of-site during testing
- Scratch paper and pencils will be provided
Any questions regarding placement testing can be addressed to the Testing Coordinator at (919) 209-2228 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you cannot make your scheduled placement test date, please contact (919) 209-2128 or (919) 209-2228 to reschedule your assessment. Placement test dates are not available online so call ahead to ensure you are scheduled for your placement test.